stihl 500i

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I want to know is after all the testing in other countries what changes have been made for new production run? Biggest question with emissions in the states what will be different for the USA model? And ofcourse when are they going to be available?

U.S. model will be the same, Stihl is not going to make different variations that's not cost effective, manufacturers are now making what they call Global products. Third world countries with poor regulations get the old models. Stihl like many manufacturers are having supply chain issues and production slow downs do to Covid-19. Don't expect to see the 500i until fall at the earliest. But we can all hope otherwise.

U.S. model will be the same, Stihl is not going to make different variations that's not cost effective, manufacturers are now making what they call Global products. Third world countries with poor regulations get the old models. Stihl like many manufacturers are having supply chain issues and production slow downs do to Covid-19. Don't expect to see the 500i until fall at the earliest. But we can all hope otherwise.
Would have thought that with the newer kit it was just a case of changing the map as it were? All the other saws have different mufflers etc to meet country specs, can't imagine having a different tune on an injected saw would be too hard?

The new models are all coming with the same setup. Sure a different tune in the ECU would be nothing to do for each region, and is likely the case, for fuel differences, but nothing more. Back in the day different cylinders, coils, mufflers and other parts where used to meet EPA regulations, but now Europe has tighter emissions regulations than they did on small engines, so manufacturers are just setting up everything to meet U.S. and European standards, saves cost in the long run.

The saw, or just the msrp card? Seen a few pics of just the display card with the msrp, but not an actual saw. That would be great if they've started to trickle into the distributors.
The saw. Also seen on fb guys picking them up at various dealers.

I believe retail is around $1300

Any 500i's seen on the shelves near the Cincinnati area? The new dealers I've been forced to deal with are seemingly clueless.

Unfortunately I lost my longtime dealer a year ago. The original owner passed away about six years ago, and his son who I knew well decided to retire a few years later. Don always had the inside track, he was like my local Spike60, but with Stihl, he even drove out to Bryan equipment a few times to pick up a 362 and 261 before they were supposed to be released.

I think my local rep is scared to show his face, as I am going to ask "where are the 500i's ??"
hell at 1300 clams, I might buy one!
I'll be getting one if they come in at that price. Likely have to find a dealer that will order it, as dealers around here wait until the previous model on the shelf sells, and big saws don't sell fast locally, three of my local dealers still have 461's on the shelf.

I have to wait to get one. The 461 has to die first. 15+ years I expect to have to wait. By then they will have the Super Sport 500i Magnum, that will have push button start, 3 different tuning modes (std, hyper, super hyper), only weigh 3 pounds with gas, and beep when running low on chain oil.

And have a cup holder. :rock:

I have to wait to get one. The 461 has to die first. 15+ years I expect to have to wait. By then they will have the Super Sport 500i Magnum, that will have push button start, 3 different tuning modes (std, hyper, super hyper), only weigh 3 pounds with gas, and beep when running low on chain oil.

And have a cup holder. :rock:
Does it have a retractable bar and chain, or a laser blade?
I really want a laser blade version... kinda like a 2 stroke lightsaber or something.
I love my chainsaw's, but even I get tired of sharpening chain & dumping chips out of my boots and shorts... not to mention pinching the bar sometimes & the flippy caps geysering my face with fuel on hot summer days. Really refreshing...

that's all cool , and all ,but the Husqvarna 390xp without all the gadgets is $1000 including tax at some local dealers, .... i cant see the price difference......, but that just my prospective, i do like Stihl saws , the 390xp, may be a tiny bit more weight , and also possibly down on hp. buts its a rock star proven saw ............i would love to try the 500I if it was in the price line with the current saws in its class...no offense to the stihl guys

The dealer I'm now stuck with, said Bryan equipment has no more 500i's and won't have them until September at the earliest. They've sold two so far that were paid for in advance buy a local tree company. Take that info for what it is, this guy has been wrong a few times now.

Back