Stihl 66

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozarkjeep

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am going to look at a saw advertised local to me as an " older stihl 66"

is this an 066?

it is $200, starts, but doesnt want to idle, and comes with a few bars and chains.

Good deal?

or obsolete junk?

thanks guys!

Good deal, even if you need to do a little work on it, aftermarket parts are reasonable. 066 red eye might be one that could be a PITA, though I am sure a standard ignition could be swaped in to solve that riddle.

Little red LED for tuning, idea was LED would come on with rev limiter to help set tuning. Over time these things seem to loose rpm. Seen a couple , but I have not messed with one personally, but would think it could be eliminated quite easily with a new coil.

Ok I searched the redeye, I understand that, its on the front engine cover between handle and chain brake right?

also,

about what year did they start putting the comp release on these saws?

( for sake of me knowing how old it is)

thanks for your help !

I am going to look at a saw advertised local to me as an " older stihl 66"

is this an 066?

it is $200, starts, but doesnt want to idle, and comes with a few bars and chains.

Good deal?

or obsolete junk?

thanks guys!

Lotsa guys just say 66 rather than 066. If it has an aluminum flywheel behind the recoil cover, its older than the ones with the poly flywheel. I think they started making 066s in 1988 or so. If the thing runs, and doesn't look like it was run over by a skidder, you might want to buy it. If you buy it and decide its more work than you care for, PM me and I'll take care of it.

Rookie, is that you????????

Can you send me my class ring back?????

Just throw it into a baggie/envelope.......

ok, I got more info.

full wrap handle, its a german made saw, ( I am not sure what vintage that means...)

the guy just spent a few hundred dollars at a local shop, and it still doesnt idle.

he says it makes good power though.
Ive bought saws from this man before, I will go pick this one up tomorrow.

Ok.

snagged the saw tonight.

he cranked it, and it would barely run, revved once, and I saw the red glowing light above the mixture screws it IS a redeye.

says "digital" on top of the air filter cover.

he told me it had new piston, and rings, and crank, but hasnt run right in a while. he just got it back from the shop and it still doesnt run well , so he sold it to me.

it came with newish 24" rollomatic bar, 3 chains, a couple of 18" bars, and 8 stihl 18" chains.

brought it home, removed muffler, cylinder and piston look PERFECT.

here are some pics.

anyone see what might be wrong with it from the pic of the carb?
:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
can't help you with the IPL but welcome to the old 066 club
hope you get it running right
dang good saw
wheelsandstuff001.jpg

Dave,

yeah.

I think that fuel line being off might have had something to do with how it was running.

I havent ran it again, neighbors, kids and all.

ive got the plastics off, cleaning them up a bit.

a few stripped out holes for the plastic hold down screws.

everything else seems fine.

I might re-assemble and run it in the garage in a bit, just to see.

but I think the guy simply had it in the shop so much he gave up on it, and this last thing ( fuel hose off) jyst pissed him off.

Im sure he never even opened it up to check it.

he was trying to tell me that the red light meant it was an "arctic version" and it had a heated handle bar.

oh well.

another saw to my collection....

thanks for the help and advice guys.

Ill post back when it starts, idles, runs and cuts like i think it should.

hopefully I wont have to mess with it much.

Is that the right carb for that saw? Does it have the HD filter? Obviously they fuel line wasnt connected. My 064 is of near same vintage and it doesnt have that top port like newer saws have. I may just not be up on that series either.

Latest posts

Back