Stihl 660 intake boot, how tight? and a carb ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butch(OH)

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am into my MS660 trying to figure out why I have to reset the carb several times a day and found two things (I think) there was some gum in the fuel pump side of the carb and the clamp screw on the intake boot seems very loose to me. To turn the clamp screw took about the same torque as it takes to turn an adjustment needle for the carb, I was using the carb screwdriver to check it and it was very easy to take it a half turn tighter and I left it be. How tight should it be?

Also have an embarrassing carb question. Carb is a Walbro WJ-69. I have taken down and re done many Walbros so when I was taking the diaphragm side down I wasn't at top attention and out of the corner of my eye it appeared that something fell out when I took the cover off with the gasket and diaphragm. Everything looks in place that I have seen in other Walbros, welch plug, jets, lever, spring, needle etc. Is there anything loose under that side on the Stihl carb for the intella carb feature or something that could have fallen out? or was my mind at work seeing things? I looked on the floor for quite a while and found nothing. Walbro's parts breakdown on the web page is a little vague.

Thanks in advance

The service manual says to tighten the intake boot clamp until the gap between the ends of the clamp are 5-6mm apart. It certainly should not be that loose. I can't think of anything else that would be in the carb on that side.

Last edited:
Thanks a million men, will be putting a kit in the carb tomorrow and will check out the boot clamp.

Latest posts

Back