stihl 661 large bar info???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Howdy,
There are folks using Lo Pro on the Logosol mills ripping with no issues. The 45 degree cookie (not to be confused with refrigerator cookies) is the toughest cut to make because of grain orientation. I would say chain like the 63PMX would be removing a third less wood from the kerf as a full size 3/8 chain. Right away you're looking at a lot less resistance to the power.
Regards
Gregg
Thanks for the reply Gregg. I was under the impression that the chains were just weaker and prone to breaking on larger saws simply because they weren't designed for that much power. Do you have these products listed on your website?

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Here is the setup I have used for cutting cookies (large walnut).
MS660 with 42" Oregon bar, 3/8" pitch 0.063" gauge.

Ladder used for first cut, only. Subsequent cuts made directly on previous cut surface.
IMG_6924.jpg
IMG_6922.jpg
IMG_6921.jpg

Exactly what I'm planning with this.

Attachments

• IMG_4067.PNG
    IMG_4067.PNG
    2 MB · Views: 28
Howdy,
We're working on getting it to the website. I was just out in the warehouse checking the tips. It looks easy enough to put the tip on for full size 3/8 chain and allow you to run .050 gauge. Currently the tip for full size 3/8 is a little wider than the bar nose and would need slight blending.
Regards
Gregg

I was in the same boat here in. I bought the Oregon 42 inch bar 3/8 pitch for my 660 works like a champ just keep them blades Sharp

Just got my new bar and chain in he mail, all I could do was laugh when I pulled the bar outta its sleeve, what the hell did I get myself into. Lol. Thanks for the help guys

4FD14F20-4E98-4C01-8FE0-927ABCEDEC78.png
Have pics of the setup and the cookies your makeing?

I’m just running a Alaska mill, I went to cut the cookies, And apparently Mismeasured and still came up short on being able to cut them, My next step would be probably a 50” bar. Which I priced out at cannon and can’t swing the money for thier bar, so I pretty much gave up this is what I was trying to cut

View attachment 608969

I’m just running a Alaska mill, I went to cut the cookies, And apparently Mismeasured and still came up short on being able to cut them, My next step would be probably a 50” bar. Which I priced out at cannon and can’t swing the money for thier bar, so I pretty much gave up this is what I was trying to cut
I cut a maple schoolmarm stump like that once ,it stayed together at first ,but it split as it dried later and came apart ,i went about 4 inch thick with the cut ,maybe there is something can pour in the cracks to hold it together ?,if have a 42 inch bar and a 36 inch mill ,if go slow may be able to take the end of the mill off at the bar tip to get full use of the bar ,I clamped this setup to my 441 because my 660 was on the other mill to try ,it cut fine with .404 skip square chain ,so the 661 should be fine i would think ,the .404 oils the longer bars a lot better than 3/8 I get by with just the oiler on the saw ,if the bar tip starts making steam ,just pour a little oil out of the jug on it once in a while ,works fine .KIMG2032.JPG
Cannon 41 inch bar with 36 inch mill setup , .404 chain

Lol I don’t trust myself near enough to freehand it without it being really lopsided, I think they are tearing the stump out soon anyways
I'd free hand the stump low & take it away. As often as I may need a 6 ft. bar I ordered one thru Amazon it is a Forester which seems stiff enough to use all the long pieces for the Alaskan to guide.
Avatar shows last cut that could be made with a 60" cannon bar. If the 72" bar was in my hands the next slice wood have been 7' to8' long and much more valuable!! The root buttresses stretched that far parralel with the concrete porch
IME the two cannon bars each took several months after order to recieve. The order thru Amazon can be a day or two if you desire.
Enjoy, stay safe

I'd free hand the stump low & take it away. As often as I may need a 6 ft. bar I ordered one thru Amazon it is a Forester which seems stiff enough to use all the long pieces for the Alaskan to guide.
Avatar shows last cut that could be made with a 60" cannon bar. If the 72" bar was in my hands the next slice wood have been 7' to8' long and much more valuable!! The root buttresses stretched that far parralel with the concrete porch
IME the two cannon bars each took several months after order to recieve. The order thru Amazon can be a day or two if you desire.
Enjoy, stay safe

Just like my search for the 42. I couldn’t get anywhere until the guys here pointed me in the right direction, I got cannon on the phone and got good info quickly, just the $380 kinda kills it for me, Searched forester bars site can’t find anything there either, got an email out to them them

Latest posts

Back