Stihl Aftermarket Parts Review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have to say i'm surprised this thread died off so quick, i was really hoping we could build a strong review thread

i bought some hutzel zama filters and primer bulbs wont know for awhile...... also some fuel line from hong kong....the oregon i been using has to be changed every year so im willing to try it and see.... to soon to say......

I just today received a Huztl clutch cover for an 1127 series Stihl. Was surprised to find it made of metal since the oem ones are plastic. Looks great but haven't installed one yet. These are quite often cracked or missing on saws I get so I ordered a couple of them. Also ordered some starter parts as these seem to suffer attrition too. Most of the saws I build, I rob the next saw in line to complete the one I'm working on. It's a bit like mother Hubbard's cupboard after a while though...

Any input on Farmer Tec? I have gaskets/seals/bearings/fuel line for an 026 rebuild that I need to get into. The saw is a bit rough to start with, so thought I'd try AM.

I use a lot of the farmer tec parts and have been happy with them so far.

I have some added input as of today as a customer I sold a 49mm Huztl cylinder kit saw to brought it back for service. I pulled the exhaust and the piston/cylinder still looks great. He cuts firewood to sell with this saw and has used it extensively for almost two years now. I put a new rim/drum sprocket on it (he supplied it) and it was having some bogging issues. finally traced it down to a bad chain (dull). I put a new chain on it and the problem went away (he tested it in my wood). He didn't want a new chain so I pulled it back off, put his on and sent him on his way. I serviced the bar for him too as it had some wear on the rails.
This is the second time I've seen this saw since I rebuilt it and it has continued to run strong. He's been extremely happy with it.

I have used many parts from Huztl/ Farmer Tec as well. So far I am happy with them, and my customers are too. They like the fact that I can save them money on repairs over the cost of going genuine on big ticket items, like piston and cylinder kits.

Specific examples: Piston and cylinder for my MS440 as well as a recoil assembly. Recoil was metal and works great. Piston and cylinder still going strong, no issues with power. Not sure how many tanks of fuel but quite a few. 20-30 tanks if I had to guess.

MS200T piston and cylinder, carb, fuel line and filter. Still doing great, probably 20 tanks of fuel through it now.

MS250 carb, 029 carb, 044 oil pump and worm, M5 screws, 025 coils, 066 rear plastic cover...

Have used sprockets and clutches from them with no issues. Crankshaft for my MS440 project with bearings and seals doing fine. Piston and cylinder for 029 running great. Worms and oil pumps doing well.

I guess I'm not much help if I don't have any complaints, huh? I honestly have had little trouble from aftermarket parts as of yet. Yes, fitment sometimes is a little off, but rarely to the point that it adds a lot of time to the repair. If it doesn't fit, it doesn't get installed on my customer's saws. I have gone genuine due to fitment before. If that air filter doesn't fit, it's going to dust the engine. I can't have that on my customer's saws. I have started going genuine Stihl on air filters lately. MS170/180 not so much since it's just a piece of felt, but the others have to fit right, and they don't always seem to. That's the only complaint I can think of.

One more comment - The thing I like about the aftermarket carbs is that they have all three adjustment needles on them. I can adjust the carbs when I need to without dealing with the limiter caps. Call me crazy, but I much prefer the old style spring and needles.

I put a hutzle (sp?) fuel tank on a guys 660...it was ok, didn't leak or nuttin. The master control lever was pretty flimsy as was the air filter cover that came with it. I tried to fit a stock cover on it but there was fitment issues so just stuck with the am supplied cover and it was all good. I'd say Not a bad option if you want to keep repair cost down.

Most of us have a stock of parts-and those are OEM parts. We need a way to share them. Some parts I have used when rebuilding a saw. Putting good used parts on another saw usually is suitable.

I just today received a Huztl clutch cover for an 1127 series Stihl. Was surprised to find it made of metal since the oem ones are plastic. Looks great but haven't installed one yet. These are quite often cracked or missing on saws I get so I ordered a couple of them. Also ordered some starter parts as these seem to suffer attrition too. Most of the saws I build, I rob the next saw in line to complete the one I'm working on. It's a bit like mother Hubbard's cupboard after a while though...
Yes I agree, we use lots of parts that we have on hand. I never try to fix all of the models of the Stihls that I build-(I keep one saw for parts). It is nice to keep a stockpile

Latest posts

Back