Stihl Backpack Brushcutter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjnspecial

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Anyone ever used one or have any info on them? Local guy has a few for sale but there isn't much info out there.

I have a Stihl FR106 backpack trimmer. It is great when working steep ground, especially uphill. For flat ground a conventional trimmer is much better. I have never seen a backpack brush cutter or clearing saw.

FR106005.jpg

Last edited:
Backpack brush cutter

I have a Shindaiwa BP 35 brush cutter. Takes a bit longer to get strapped in and get ready to cut, but once in place it is comfortable and less fatiguing than a regular model. Like already mentinoned, it is ideal on steep hills. For smaller jobs I just grab a regular trimmer.

I have no info on the Stihl product.

Whoops sorry. Didn't read that you said "brushcutters".
Just thought I'd add a chainsaw one instead :dizzy:

The genuine stihl back pack ones are alright, Ive used them without issue.

Personally though for most slopes, with the harness set right Ive always found a FS400 or similar to be perfectly comfortable.

18 months ago I bought the husky trio balance harness and 345RX the combination when harness is adjusted is weightless. The 345 seems to hang better than a stihl FS400/450 ( i think a combination of the handle bar post angle and weight with the front mounted fuel tank).

F271d006_p.jpg

Must be non US available only

There are a few backpack, cable drive ones for sale on eBay.

That is ebay.au, none of it in the states. Neat idea though.

Anyone use the backpack hydraulic units? I've seen Husky's, but never used it.

Which Stihl brushcutter (general HO use) is the best, anyway?

Any string trimmer that will take a brush blade is good for around the house.

The balde with the three long tines is best for small brush, the skillsaw like blades do not last lone enough. If you need something for bigger caliper brush, kneel down with the chainsaw.

Last edited:
Which Stihl brushcutter (general HO use) is the best, anyway?

Tough to beat the FS250. If it can't cut it, hit it with a chainsaw. You can also use it as a trimmer. If you are into 4mix the FS130 will also do a fine job but it lags in both power and throttle control as compaired to the 250.

Back