Stihl being sold in box stores now.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was in my local Shiptons tonight, which is a Fleet Farm type/TSC type store. They are selling both Husky and Stihl saws.
Since when did Stihl abandon its servicing dealers only policy?
Rural King near me (same type store) has been selling Stihl for several years.

^^^^^ Yup, our local JD is a seller and service center also. We do have a small Stihl dealer with support in what we call a Home Rental store. Rent semi-heavy equipment and just aboot everything else you could think of. Both places have limited number of pro stuff on hand but do stock some parts for older and newer. I have gone to both places for Stihl parts in the past. Proud of prices though!

^^^^^ Yup, our local JD is a seller and service center also. We do have a small Stihl dealer with support in what we call a Home Rental store. Rent semi-heavy equipment and just aboot everything else you could think of. Both places have limited number of pro stuff on hand but do stock some parts for older and newer. I have gone to both places for Stihl parts in the past. Proud of prices though!
I think ALL Stihl dealers have proud prices!

Was in my local Shiptons tonight, which is a Fleet Farm type/TSC type store. They are selling both Husky and Stihl saws.
Husqvarna is a bit over $5 billion dollars in revenue! Stihl is around that figure too give or take a few hundred million $ !
I propose a merge of Husqvarna+Stihl and instruct their designers and engineers to build some god damn GOOD chainsaws together,using their knowledge and experience! All for reasonable prices! That should solve all the "chinese brands" ***** quality chainsaws flooding of the market...

The big box stores are just retailers, they have no service department. I’ve had many customers come into my shop saying they’ll never buy from them again because they don’t even know the product, let alone can’t work on them because they have nobody there qualified to do repairs.

When I went to the nearest JD dealer here I needed a fuel line for an ms660 so I was aiming to get it and a few other small parts if they had them. The parts man looked at my list and said he doubted he had any of it ( and he had nothing of it ) and if he had to order it it was automatically an extra $20 to the price of the part no matter what the original cost. Piss on that when they have 10'S of millions of dollars or more of equipment and parts in stock and can't stock an $15 fuel line for 1 of the most popular pro saws professional use. Have no intention of going back to them tractor or saw related. I don't believe they all are that bad but they have several dealers that go by green mark.
Do the JD dealers charge the same for saw labor as tractor?

When I went to the nearest JD dealer here I needed a fuel line for an ms660 so I was aiming to get it and a few other small parts if they had them. The parts man looked at my list and said he doubted he had any of it ( and he had nothing of it ) and if he had to order it it was automatically an extra $20 to the price of the part no matter what the original cost. Piss on that when they have 10'S of millions of dollars or more of equipment and parts in stock and can't stock an $15 fuel line for 1 of the most popular pro saws professional use. Have no intention of going back to them tractor or saw related. I don't believe they all are that bad but they have several dealers that go by green mark.
Do the JD dealers charge the same for saw labor as tractor?
True about the fuel line...
But, nice cat 😁👍

Stihl been sold in RK farm stores for awhile now. Been in other farm stores in other states for years now too.

One north has stihl and one south huskys here local. Couple 395 was the biggest they had.

One in pic no clue anymore. Was in a thread a couple years ago.

rks.jpgrksss.jpg
h395rk.jpg

There's a chain of "fleet farm" style stores around here called "Runnings" that have sold Stihl since they started opening stores in the area.

Frankly I don't know what the big deal about "can't service them" is. Neither can the "small dealers." Well, in their cases, they just don't WANT to. You walk in to the dusty, poorly lit lean-to scabbed on to the front of an old cow barn, and there's an old man sitting in a chair reading a newspaper. Doesn't even acknowledge you. You stand there. Nothing. You look at the three saws he has on the shelf. He turns the page. You stand at the parts counter. He reaches out and takes a sip of his coffee. You say "Morning" and if you're lucky, you'll get a curt "Morning" back. Time to leave. It's clear your business is neither wanted nor needed.

I have not found one that isn't like that. It's clear that these "dealerships" only exist as a place for the owner to "hold court" with his cronies, act like a big shot because he's a big time Stihl dealer. If you aren't in the club, you don't get a chainsaw.

The Stihl counter at Runnings on the other hand, someone is either at the desk, or appears out of the woodwork if you venture into the area. Ready to help. Knowledgeable about the product, or willing to look something up for you.

Stihl HAD to do something. Stubbornly sticking to their "small local dealer" business model was going to be the end for them once all the old Stihl zealots die off here in a few years.

I bought a pro Stihl saw at a lumber/hardware store because it was a Saturday afternoon and the real Saw Shop closes at noon on Saturdays. I put the saw up on the bench to remove the chain for grinding and I found a .404 sprocket on the saw. Trouble was, the bar and chain that I chose were 3/8.
Yep, them lawn and garden guys know their way around. LOL

and if he had to order it it was automatically an extra $20 to the price of the part no matter what the original cost.

I don't believe they all are that bad
The Deere connection can be good for some people in some places. For one I can look up on line Deere tractor parts and order them and pay in person when picking up. No deposit no extra fee. Perhaps this will influence Stihl. If you have an account, which can be a cash account that just means you are in the computer. (If for some reason you have two accounts, billing address and delivery address are different it seems impossible to get one removed) I asked for a price on an angle gearbox for the pole saws (will work on trimmers/brushcutters), the price was less than I was expecting. It did take a while to come in but there were no fees. The other time A t27 5 or 6mm machine screw disappeared and I wanted another one. They had an elaborate box Stihl branded but the size I wanted did not have a little compartment.

Latest posts

Back