Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower RPM's?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Kidd

Where's Fish?
Reaction score
Anyone have the BR550 that have checked rpm's? Yes, it is a 4-mix. Idle is @2800 and max throttle is 6k. The performance seems ok, but I was surprised the rpms were that low. Plug shows slightly rich color but it may be the nature of the beast.

Anyone have the BR550 that have checked rpm's? Yes, it is a 4-mix. Idle is @2800 and max throttle is 6k. The performance seems ok, but I was surprised the rpms were that low. Plug shows slightly rich color but it may be the nature of the beast.

Its on the money!!

I have one, never tached it. My dealer told me when they started selling them to lawn services that some of the hispanic workers repeatedly brought them back because they (being used to BR420's) thought they were running too slow and too quiet and therefore not blowing hard enough. The dealer said he would have to take them out behind the store and blow gravel around to show them the new blower was indeed "muy fuerte" even though it is so quiet.

Great blower btw. I don't regret not buying the BR600, the 550 does everything I need and more.

Damn seems low to me also. They both have the same piston/cylinder/crankshaft I believe but maybe wrong. I think they have several other things in common so I wonder why I cant tach my 550 higher or a 500 even too. Can anyone please let me know since I had to replace the carb on mine which showed up yesterday and I am ready to adjust it expect I am not certain what to set it at. I had to replace my old brandless tachometer with a oppramsomething or another I think it has something to do with echo since the price was about the most I felt like paying for a worthy new one. Whats a 550 worth by the way and a 500 too worth around. The 500 has issues still tho. Low compression(110) and it likes to only run on half choke or when the primer is being pushed slowly. I don't know the problem but the carb on it is junk currently and leaks around the choke pin. I got a carb for it yesterday to since the guy gave me two 104s with the hex h/l adjustments for 40 shipping included to. The local dealers here wanted 65 for one of them and they are the exact same one like identical numbers and markings as far as I can tell. Any suggestions on what could be doing that? I am thinking of replacing the rings on the 500 and maybe more even. I haven't pulled the muffler or looked for any scoring yet. It wouldn't be a shocker tho if there was since it had only the back of the air filter housing and no filter in it when I got it too. Strange that people do that to there stuff so much and act like its not going to matter cause its a Stihl. It isn't a tank just a expensive and high tech leaf blower. So about the RPMS help please? I would love to know what it would take to make a 500/550 a 600 too if anyone knows for sure too. Any info is greatly appreciated... I know that this is a 6 year old thread by the way too.

The 550 maxed at 5400 with the factory set carb and idals at 2150 tho as of now which I know isn't right I just haven't done the adjusting on it since I didn't know what to set it at.

OK. lets start with how to turn a 550 into a 600 and progress from there. First, the engines are the same in the 500, 550, and 600. The differences are the fan housing and fan (the 550 has a larger fan, so its RPM's are lower), the carburetor (different jetting for different operating RPM), and the inside diameter of the nozzle. If you replaced the carburetor, be sure you use the correct one for your unit- the 550 uses #4282-120-0608, and the 600 uses #4282-120-0607. Don't interchange them- they will work on the wrong unit, but performance won't be right. I work for a huge dealership that sells 600+ Stihl backpack blowers per year, so I work on quite a few of them. I set the RPM by setting the idle speed at 2500 and then adjusting the low speed mixture to get the fastest idle speed. If when adjusting the mixture, if the RPM increases above 2800, reset the idle to 2500 before fiddling with the mixture again. The engine's fuel mixture requirements differ with changes in RPM, so you want to be in the ballpark RPM-wise. Once I find the mixture that gives the fastest RPM, I unscrew the low screw 1/4 turn and reset the idle speed to 2500. I then lock the throttle open and adjust the high speed mixture to achieve the fastest RPM. Once I find this, I unscrew the high speed mixture screw 1/2 turn. I then go back and reset the idle to 2500. The nozzle has a huge affect on operating RPM, don't expect the blower to adjust properly or run properly if the nozzle is worn out (hole larger than standard because of wear), or the wrong nozzle (550 has a smaller hole than the 600 nozzle). Every blower has a little different personality and performance. 600's with good cylinder sealing will max out between 7100 and 7350, 550's max out about 1000 RPM lower. I have never tested the compression on one of these units- it is really a meaningless number. Cylinder leakage measured with a leakdown tester will tell you much more about the condition of the engine and where, if any, leakage is occurring. The 4282 is a remarkably robust unit that will take a tremendous amount of use and abuse before it fails.

Wow you were right on the dot with that info. Same as Stihl sent me which makes me wonder since all the local shops said that they cant give that info out due to EPA restrictions. Did they just not want to give me those numbers because they were hoping on a easy quick job which they claimed would take 2-3 weeks for that. Sad in my opinion since I expected to hear 2-3 minutes instead.

I was wondering why would I have seen and heard of several of these blowers that will only run when on prime and shut off when the user stops pressing the primer bulb. Any thoughts

Latest posts

Back