Stihl carb question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Uglyhat

Uglyhat

ArboristSite Lurker
Hi folks - homeowner question here. I have a Stihl FS55r weed and light brush trimmer that won't start. Sat for a long time and I suspect the carb is all fouled up. I can install a kit easy enough, but there seem to be several different brands for sale from different sources at pretty reasonable prices. Would you pros go with a kit or just put a new carb on? What supplier would you use? Brands/sources to avoid? Thanks in advance!

- Uglyhat

Conquistador3

Conquistador3

Le Comte de Frou Frou
You can use whatever brand you want. I am yet to run into a "bad" carburetor rebuild kit: if the rebuild doesn't go well it's usually due to the carb itself (see non-serviceable valves, worn needle seats etc).
If you plan on a full stripdown, including metering arm and needle, get a Zama metering tool. It's cheap and it will save you a lot of time and trouble.

JohnnyBoy1986

JohnnyBoy1986

ArboristSite Operative
The carbs on the FS55s tend to be very tempermental and often even after a rebuild just dont perform like they should once they start giving major troubles. Replace the carb, they sell aftermarket carbs (mostly chinese junk) that have varying success rates for about $17 and lower delivered - and then theres the oem stihl carb which is just over $30 new. I wouldn't waste my time in a $10+ rebuild kit (if it were me) put the carb on it and be done with it.

Either route you chose i hope all goes well for you and its back running again in no time.