Stihl chain differences/upgrades???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffbayne

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm sorta new around here- been just reading and learning for several months... I have a 200t and a climbing setup and i'm just taking it slow and getting the feel for how all of this works- it sure is a lot of fun.

Anywho, Stihl recommends my saw use the PMC3 chain. How much are the chains interchangeable? Is there a more aggressive chain that will fit my saw? What about other saws? A good friend has a 361 with I assume the recommended chain. What about his? Stihl makes so many different chains with different tooth patterns and all that, but doesn't say when to use what. for example, why would someone want a "full skip" chain. Wouldn't that just cut slower?

Please don't think I'm some wacko wanting to put a rescue chain on a 200t, I'm just wanting to understand the differences :)

thanks!
jeff

I believe you have very little choice in what you can use on the 200T. All the chains available from Stihl will be the "green" safety chain. The top handle climbing saw is more susceptible to a kick back and there is not a more agressive chain available from Stihl that I am aware of. Get a filing kit and learn to keep your chains sharp and it will cut very well.

The more aggressive chains made by Stihl have a "yellow" link and they do not have the same design as the safety chains with the "green" links. The safety chains have a tab on the drive link that pops up as the chain rounds the tip and it limits the amount of cutter that is exposed while the chain moves around the tip. The difference in cutting speeds between the two types of chain will be measured in seconds.....it is not really all that dramatic. The yellow chains are better at making plunge cuts than the green chains.

The skip chain is mostly used on long bars where you will have a lot of chain inside the wood. The skip chain reduces the number of cutters that are at work inside the log and it helps the saw keep from bogging, and I believe it also helps the chips to clear. I don't run anything longer than 32" on a 460......so I have never used skip chain. I think that some people choose to use a skip chain when pushing the length of the bar beyond what the saw can handle with normal chain.

Last edited:
I believe you have very little choice in what you can use on the 200T. All the chains available from Stihl will be the "green" safety chain. The top handle climbing saw is more susceptible to a kick back and there is not a more agressive chain available from Stihl that I am aware of.

Stihl does offer a "yellow" chain for the 200T. It would be a 63PMC instead of the 63PMC3.

Excellent Info! I tried to search for this information but all i could think to put in the search bar was "stihl chain", so you can imagine what all i found, so thanks for taking the time to explain. I'll read through that stuff Angelo, and i'll have some popcorn. Banjo, that makes perfect sense about the skip tooth.

Thanks!
jeff

The other guys seem to have you covered on the chain questions. Just get used to climbing for a bit before dragging that 200t up in a tree and fireing it up. Good idea to do some work with a handsaw at first so you can get used to putting yourself in a good work position. Good luck with it Jeff and stay safe.

Latest posts

Back