Stihl Contra/Lightning S

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

379 pete

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi, Is there a Stihl expert out there that can tell me if the 137cc Lightning S used a bigger clutch than the standard 106cc Lightning ???? If you have a parts book for the S series it would be a great help. Also is there anyone who has a 66mm piston for the Lightning S they would sell ??? Thanks for any help/379 pete

Contra/Lightning S

I did some measuring, and believe the 090 piston to be the same as the S. I have one of those on hand. Now, who has a parts book for the Contra/Lightning S series, that could answer the clutch question???? Thanks,379 Pete

The plug on a Contra is in a different position - it doesn't stick out of the top, it is sideways. An 090 jug will fit - but you won't get the cover on.

Someone posted a picture of 090 and Contra jugs a while ago - the thread had 090 in the title.

Edit: here: http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=58610&page=2&highlight=090

Near the end - BillG is teasing us with his collection :)

Last edited:
S series Lightning

Hi Martin, Thanks for answering the clutch question, I have only seen one other Contra/Lightning S and it had the small clutch, The owner said it was original, but I didn't know for sure. I have a good 66mm cylinder for the S series, and a good piston for a later 090. And according to my measurements, the pistons should interchange. Soon hope to have a Contra/Lightning S series up and running, Also have I have an older 58mm Lightning thats a runner plus several of the older Lightnings in parts. Now all I need to find is a Lightning Gear Drive, Ha, Ha, Fat chance of that Eh???

For a gear-driven I am also looking. That's very tuff, especially if you don't wanna be poor after you have bought one. :dizzy:

That the pistons both are 66 mm is sure, but is the rest also the same?

090 vs. Lightning

Hi Martin, Yes I measured all the port locations inside the Lightning S to an 090 cylinder, and looks to me like the 090 piston will work fine, Wonder how hard it will be to start with no compression release??? How the heck did you end up with a John Deere 830 over there??? Thats a long ways from Waterloo, Iowa. Did you buy it from the U.S. or Canada??? Bet the shipping was a bunch. You must have quite a saw collection, I saw pictures of your saws on the saw websites. Thanks again/#### L.

The plug on a Contra is in a different position - it doesn't stick out of the top, it is sideways. An 090 jug will fit - but you won't get the cover on.

Someone posted a picture of 090 and Contra jugs a while ago - the thread had 090 in the title.

Edit: here: http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=58610&page=2&highlight=090

Near the end - BillG is teasing us with his collection :)

Well I posted the pictures to show the differences there was no teasing. It was simply a pic to show the different variations.

Bill

090 piston

Hi Bill, yes I understand the cylinders are different. I have a Lightning S cylinder that is in like new condition, the piston was missing. The inside of the S series and the 090 cylinder are exactally the same as to size and port position. The pistons are constructed differently but I can see no reason the 090 piston wont work, the only difference is a better flow of gas and could produce more power. I have a like new 090 piston and am going to give it a try.

Hi Martin, Yes I measured all the port locations inside the Lightning S to an 090 cylinder, and looks to me like the 090 piston will work fine, Wonder how hard it will be to start with no compression release??? How the heck did you end up with a John Deere 830 over there??? Thats a long ways from Waterloo, Iowa. Did you buy it from the U.S. or Canada??? Bet the shipping was a bunch. You must have quite a saw collection, I saw pictures of your saws on the saw websites. Thanks again/#### L.

It is not easy to start, but if you know how to do and how to pull it is not very difficult. It's not the old JD 830 with gas engine, it's the European Mannheim-built JD 830 from 1977. The other one wouldn't be very useful in the forest...
I have about 40 oldtimer saws and about 8 or so for work.

Hi Martin, OK, I know what John Deere you have, Nice tractor, I know there are a lot of collectors in Europe that have the old twin cylinder J.D.'s. Yes I have seen some of your saws on the collector site, Some nice ones and some rare ones. I have a few old Stihls 070's, 090's, an 090G, a bunch of Lightnings and the Lightning S that I just picked up. Then the basic ones like 066's and 046's, all good saws. I like to bring an old 090 or Lightning out to the woods and use them some, They really had a saw for 1959, and they are still going strong. Thanks for the information on the clutch, that helped./#### L.

Back