Stihl Dealer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g/n

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Neighbor went to the stihl dealer today to look at the ms250 talked to them about adjusting the carb.they told him they arent allowed to and could get fined by the EPA.is this true yes no find another dealer

Many of the modern carbs have no adjustment on the HS circuit. The dealer is partially correct. If they eliminate an emission system (muffler mod) or remove the limiters, they are open to trouble from the EPA. I have not heard of the EPA on any witch-hunts, but I suppose there is a first for everything. If they tune the saw for proper running with all of the original equipment, there is no problem.

Neighbor went to the stihl dealer today to look at the ms250 talked to them about adjusting the carb.they told him they arent allowed to and could get fined by the EPA.is this true yes no find another dealer

I agree with Saw Dr., they may not be on a witch hunt for individuals tuning saws. I bet if they found a dealer that did any adjustments to defeat the EPA standards of the saw that dealer would be crushed like a bug by the Feds.

You guys are correct were not to alter, or modify the emissions features of a piece of equipment. So this means no muffler mods, no removing spark arrestor screens, no porting etc... you can technically be fined by the EPA for them. We can adjust carbs, BUT if the have limiter caps we REQUIRED to reinstall them after the adjustment, according to the EPA. But I can tell you the carbs for MS 250's are about 30$, if the saw is having running issues it may be the easiest solution.

Last edited:
Back