Stihl EDT 9 review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulB84

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
After using my stihl edt-9 tach for a couple weeks I feel like I can offer an opinion on it.

It's my first tach, which I got because I was tired of tuning by ear, being confidant I wasn't getting the performance I should whilst simultaneously being nervous as hell about burning up a saw.

I researched alot of tachs, but was seduced by the size and mount-ability despite an unknown refresh rate and only a few reviews. It's a lot slower than I was hoping for. Not a full 2....I would put it at 1.5 seconds just my best guess. Not quick enough. It does however offer many cool onboard mounting solutions so will prob find a home on some piece of equipment just not a saw. (Well, maybe on a csm)

Paid $80 or so including shipping from here
http://www.amickssuperstore.com/Stihl_Tach_p/stihl tach.htm

No battery change possible but with my experience with other small lithium(?) powered devices this should outlast its value and then some. its always on which i like. no forgetting to turn it off and toasted battery
see photo of back side of unit. battery permanently covered in injected molded or pressure formed plastic or epoxy of some kind. Can see battery outline. 3v lithium?

Seems robust. Is stupid simple, only one button. I spilled bar oil all over it and it still works. Bounced it around in pockets with keys pocket knives etc. Not worried about longevity.

Antenna attachment is just a loop molded in the plastic closer to the wireless receiver.
No actual plug in. For both the wireless antenna and longer wire w alligator clip, they simply thread into the holes seen in the attached pic. My most reliable results have been with the alligator clip .

See owners manual photo for operation and spark types supported. Does 3 different ignition types based on pulse number and timing: 2 pulses per 1 revolution, 1 pulse per 2 revolutions, and 1 pulse per 1 revolution.

As stated, only one button. The diagram on the directions took me a second to decipher (I'm slow) You hold the button for 3 seconds and it takes you from current RPM to max recorded RPM. If you release within 3 seconds it returns to currently reading, keeping the saved max RPM. Hold it through until the max blinks and returns to zero and you'll then start cycling thru the ignition options at 1 second intervals. You'll stay in the "ignition submenu" as long as you hold the button down. Release it when you're on the type you wish to use. Sounds incredibly difficult but in reality it becomes second nature quickly. If you can send a text message you can use this.

For my purposes it works on my traditional 2 stroke saws. Tested on MS250, MS460s and an 046. Haven't tried it on any other two stroke equipment or my 4mix stuff

So, in summary:

It's small enough to carry anywhere or mount on any piece of gasoline equipment

It's reasonably resilient (only had it 2 weeks)

It's interface is simple quick and reliable

It's finicky about placement on the saw in
antenna mode. Works better on some saws than others Alligator clips yield much better results but require removing plastic and tuning without air filter covers in place etc.

It's refresh rate is slow enough I'm replacing it for shop work. Probably with a DTI or something else at .5 sec refresh. I don't like having to WOT that long just to get a single reading, and half the time not getting one anyways bc of poor placement. This may be my fault, I'm experimenting with different ways of holding it while tuning etc. I suppose I could permanently mount wires to saws and attach the tach when using that saw but that seems like more work that a wireless tach should require

Above reasons mean it's not much use keeping in a pocket while cutting either.

Hope this was helpful for anyone considering an EDT-9

Attachments

• IMG_20170305_185728.jpg
    IMG_20170305_185728.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 102
  • IMG_20170305_185754.jpg
    IMG_20170305_185754.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20170305_185816.jpg
    IMG_20170305_185816.jpg
    990.2 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_20170305_185827.jpg
    IMG_20170305_185827.jpg
    1,019.7 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20170305_185845.jpg
    IMG_20170305_185845.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 100
  • IMG_20170305_190604.jpg
    IMG_20170305_190604.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 98
A tach is great addition to yer diagnostic tool kit. But by all means use all yer tools too. Your ears being a great tool as well as a screwdriver. I use the tach to confirm what my ear is telling me in the cut. Some saws won't really offer a clear 4stroke burble (rev limited coils ect) that's where the coil is a good helper. Don't be afraid to slowly dial in the "lean" you are comfortable with from a "rich" starting point. After a while you get good at it. Drives me nuts when I hear saws running way lean on job sites that I can't walk over to and tune for them....

Great review of the tach too.

I picked one up the other day, refresh rate is about a second or less, it’s not bad. The fastest tachs you can get are too fast for me, it’s just a blur of constantly changing numbers. My favourite is the Oppama tachs. I only got it so I could read limited coils to speed up the tuning process on customers equipment.

I picked one up the other day, refresh rate is about a second or less, it’s not bad. The fastest tachs you can get are too fast for me, it’s just a blur of constantly changing numbers. My favourite is the Oppama tachs. I only got it so I could read limited coils to speed up the tuning process on customers equipment.
Hey there, I've been watching your YouTube channel; clear descriptions & to the point information. Thank You!

I’ll update this with my experience since owning is a few months.

The good:

1). It can read SOME of stihls limited coil engines

The bad:

1). Slow refresh rate
2). Cost
3). Can’t turn off
4). Small screen
5). VERY weak inductive signal
6). Won’t read all limiter coils
7). No battery replacement
8). Very limited functions

I’m sure there are more bad things about their EDT9 - my advice, don’t buy one.

I went back to the shop as it would read one limited coil and I had an IDENTICAL machine, same everything and it wouldn’t read the other.

I had 2 mechanics that had the same EDT 9 and theirs wouldn’t read one of the coils and did read the other.

If you want a simple method to tune a limited ignition coil, get a cheap tach, start rich on the H, lean it out until your tach just starts to go crazy and call it good.

Save your money.

The second the limiter kicks in, your non stihl tach will start to give random numbers, leave it there and try under load. Very fine tweaks can be done from there. It will get you very close, if not spot on to where you’d be with the stihl tach.

I’ve done it many times and prefer my Oppama tach..

A6559718-7984-4964-BAAB-F1C47DBF58EE.jpeg

I’ll update this with my experience since owning is a few months.

The good:

1). It can read SOME of stihls limited coil engines

The bad:

1). Slow refresh rate
2). Cost
3). Can’t turn off
4). Small screen
5). VERY weak inductive signal
6). Won’t read all limiter coils
7). No battery replacement
8). Very limited functions

I’m sure there are more bad things about their EDT9 - my advice, don’t buy one.

I went back to the shop as it would read one limited coil and I had an IDENTICAL machine, same everything and it wouldn’t read the other.

I had 2 mechanics that had the same EDT 9 and theirs wouldn’t read one of the coils and did read the other.

If you want a simple method to tune a limited ignition coil, get a cheap tach, start rich on the H, lean it out until your tach just starts to go crazy and call it good.

Save your money.

The second the limiter kicks in, your non stihl tach will start to give random numbers, leave it there and try under load. Very fine tweaks can be done from there. It will get you very close, if not spot on to where you’d be with the stihl tach.

I’ve done it many times and prefer my Oppama tach..

View attachment 1099847
This one reads limited coil says just fine and I've been using it for decades.20230724_205939.jpg

My stihl EDT-5 that was made by Oppama has replaceable battery and .5 refresh. Have yet to ever have to put a new batt in. Guessing around 15 years now.

The newer stihl ones isnt made by them and slower refresh. Pass on any new ones with stihls name on them.

Oppama tachs make them for echo too.

OPPAMA PET-1000 Tach-2.jpgtachoppedt5.jpg

Back