Stihl felling dogs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Timm

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Recently aquired a Stihl 360 pro saw. Doesn't have felling dogs and want to get some. Any suggestions as to where to get them?

westcoastsaws.
loggingsupply.
Stihl USA
hlsproparts.

Probably most any genuine Stihl dealer, or aftermarket parts supplier- some will be bigger, some sturdier, some more expensive- but there will be literally tens of different choices. Or, someone will sell you some they have from a wrecked saw, or ones they have taken off to replace.
If you have a template- you can cut your own out of old 10" circular saw blades.

I will look into purchasing them online. My one worry is do all Stihl felling dogs fit? Every saw I've had had them already on since new. Thought this was weird for a bigger saw to not have them!?

I will look into purchasing them online. My one worry is do all Stihl felling dogs fit? Every saw I've had had them already on since new. Thought this was weird for a bigger saw to not have them!?
If you really need felling dogs, I would advise you to purchase the "wrap" "R" kit for the 362 that is available from your Stihl dealer!
A good option would be to sell the 360 and get the 362R model :) ! The "kit" is pretty expensive, and the 362R reviews are good!

If you really need felling dogs, I would advise you to purchase the "wrap" "R" kit for the 362 that is available from your Stihl dealer!
A good option would be to sell the 360 and get the 362R model :) ! The "kit" is pretty expensive, and the 362R reviews are good!
what is a wrap R kit?

Most Stihl Pro model saws have an "R" model option, MS 362 CM vs MS 362 CM R, with the "R" generally indicating that the saw has a wrap around handlebar, larger clutch cover, felling dogs, and usually a different chain catcher and stiffer AV. When purchased new, the "R" upgrade is not much more expensive. Stihl also offers a "kit" containing the parts to upgrade a standard model saw. I think the 362 kit is about $250, IF you can find one?
If your just cutting firewood, the aftermarket dogs available from many sources will work just fine.
The pic is a MS 400 that is setup as a felling saw using Stihl and West Coast Saw 362 parts. This saw has a couple hundred hours on it now, and it works very well!

Attachments

• Tony's 400 - 2mp.jpg
    Tony's 400 - 2mp.jpg
    595.7 KB · Views: 1
Back