Stihl FS 110 - convert to handlebar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Da Nag

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I picked up a Stihl FS 110 RX last year, and am quite pleased with the performance. However...I'm kicking myself for letting the dealer talk me into a loop handle version. It just seemed intuitive to me, that the handlebar version with a good harness would be more comfortable for the type of work I need to do, but I trusted the dealer's advice and took his recommendation.

I guess it's a personal preference, but I can't use the thing for more than 10 minutes without nasty forearm and wrist cramping. I've tried it with/without a harness, and have tried a ton of different handle positions.

I'm sure anything is possible, but would it be relatively straightforward to convert the unit to a handlebar model?

I picked up a Stihl FS 110 RX last year, and am quite pleased with the performance. However...I'm kicking myself for letting the dealer talk me into a loop handle version. It just seemed intuitive to me, that the handlebar version with a good harness would be more comfortable for the type of work I need to do, but I trusted the dealer's advice and took his recommendation.

I guess it's a personal preference, but I can't use the thing for more than 10 minutes without nasty forearm and wrist cramping. I've tried it with/without a harness, and have tried a ton of different handle positions.

I'm sure anything is possible, but would it be relatively straightforward to convert the unit to a handlebar model?

It would not be an easy or cost effective conversion. Plus most people using bike handle units have a brush blade on them and the RX does not accept blade attachments. It's a dedicated commercial line trimmer only. Plus a bike handle unit will be heavier.

As was stated above the conversion requires new handle bar, throttle cable, and a few other small things. It is pretty pricey for the parts, not to mention the time/skill involved. Also you can STILL ONLY run a line trimmer NO blades fro the RX models!

Migh be cheaper to buy a new trimmer that has the bike handle.

Thanks for the quick feedback.

I've no need for a brush blade - I was aware of the RX limitations when I bought it, and since I don't need any of the optional attachments, I opted for the lighter weight. All the areas I need to cut have fairly minimal requirements, which are easily handled by switching back and forth from line to a plastic cutter head...other than the ergonomics of the unit, it's sufficient for my needs.

The primary problem for me, is grip positioning - I don't need the added control I'm assuming comes with the wider handlebar grips. My hands are just far more comfortable if I can keep my grip vertical.

In looking at the unit a little more closely, I'm guessing I can fab something up without too much effort. The control has enough cable on it to attach to a stubby vertical bar, as long as I keep it close to the shaft and the engine. I found the handlebar clamp on eBay for cheap, so perhaps I can simply bend a short length of tubing, and have a narrow handlebar grip.

If I end up with anything interesting, I'll post back with the details.

Back