Stihl FS80r trimmer slow to power up.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes the carbon deposit may be to hard to remove with a Popsicle stick. but I suppose that could work for some of it. Close to the inside of the jug though you're gonna need something that's got more of an edge( if you're not going to take the cylinder jug off) like a flat head or something of that sort.

I pulled the muffler off today. The exhaust port looked surprisingly clean. I scraped off a little built up carbon and used carb cleaner on Q tips to clean off the residue. It's all buttoned up and running strong. I don't notice a difference but I'm glad I know it's done. Thanks for the tip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Of all the O P E I've owned over the course of 50 years or more, not once did I have to remove any carbon build-up on anything.

Just lucky I guess..............:drinkingcoffee:
Yeah I would say you were lucky because carbon buildup is one of those things that is not talked about much or noticed that much but has been blamed for many problems. I myself had a catastrophic failure on a saw. It's no secret what clogging up the exhaust flow will do to an engine.

I pulled the muffler off today. The exhaust port looked surprisingly clean. I scraped off a little built up carbon and used carb cleaner on Q tips to clean off the residue. It's all buttoned up and running strong. I don't notice a difference but I'm glad I know it's done. Thanks for the tip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
No problem glad you were able to get it cleaned out. The main cause of carbon buildup is just from a crappy oil or improper mixture so if it's for the most part clean then you're using a good 2-cycle oil and mixing it correctly if you were to have had a big build-up and got it clean that may have been the only time you would have noticed any difference in power.

No problem glad you were able to get it cleaned out. The main cause of carbon buildup is just from a crappy oil or improper mixture so if it's for the most part clean then you're using a good 2-cycle oil and mixing it correctly if you were to have had a big build-up and got it clean that may have been the only time you would have noticed any difference in power.

Looking at the plug, it was running too lean. Maybe that's why no carbon build up.

That's possible. Was the spark plug looking like it had a white residue on the electrode.

The ground electrode was light tan
e4dc6eb205e3480e793f6c5687e7472c.jpg

The ground electrode was light tan
e4dc6eb205e3480e793f6c5687e7472c.jpg
Besides the spark plug being old that doesn't look too bad I do notice a little carbon deposit on the bottom rim but overall not too bad a little on the lean side it should be a light charcoal color but shouldn't have a significant amount of deposit on it. Warm the engine up for a couple minutes and then hold the throttle wide open at the same time take screwdriver and back out the high jet about 1/8 of a turn you'll hear the motor sightly decrease in RPM at WOP. A correctly tuned engine will have a four stroke fire in between the powerband with no load.

Latest posts

Back