Stihl fs85 pro issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grogetr sawguy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I just got a fs85 trimmer that seems to flood and not start. I figured a carb adjustment would help. Nope. It had what looked like a new carb. It did start when I got it ran ok but had dead spot off idle tried adjusting carb but couldn’t get to run again. The needles were turned out 3-4 turns set them where they should be no go. I put a chi carb on it I had and started and ran good. Next time I try it floods. Took plug out burned off the gas set the gap which was twice as wide as it should have been and it started. Next time won’t start. Is it possible for the ignition is weak and not hot enough to fire up? I haven’t checked compression but sure feels like it has plenty when pulling it over. Appreciate any feedback you have. Thanks

I have a FS120 trimmer that was hard to start and once you got it started it would run for a bit than die. Changed out the coil, around $100, and it started easier and ran well. Of course I let it sit for a couple of months and it wouldn't start yesterday.

I have 4 FS80 / FS85 - I upgraded the FS80 versions to solid shaft. I keep a chinknesium coil and carburetor on hand. When they act up on throttle - I don't even adjust them anymore - I just replace the $12 carburetor and get back to work. I have found that about 1 in 4 of the chink carbs don't adjust all that well - but for the price - I don't worry about it.

Back