Stihl Id

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbot37

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Can anybody id the model for this stihl?

Attachments

• 00x0x_b1t61ep8GIa_1200x900.jpg
    00x0x_b1t61ep8GIa_1200x900.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 38

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks a bunch. I think i mightve caught a chainsaw bug and was considering buying this one to mess with. I was just given an 038 magnum and got it running and think i might keep riding this train. any thoughts on the 032?

Thanks a bunch. I think i mightve caught a chainsaw bug and was considering buying this one to mess with. I was just given an 038 magnum and got it running and think i might keep riding this train. any thoughts on the 032?

It won't hold a candle to your 038 Magnum, ignition parts are getting tough to find.

Yeah, im liking the 038. Anything i should watch for if I go take a look at it?

It all depends on what you are wanting to do with it and the price. That old of a saw will likely need all the rubber components such as AV mounts, impulse hose, fuel line and filter, intake replaced. If it doesn't run, it isn't worth much at all around here.

It all depends on what you are wanting to do with it and the price. That old of a saw will likely need all the rubber components such as AV mounts, impulse hose, fuel line and filter, intake replaced. If it doesn't run, it isn't worth much at all around here.
The guy says it runs but needs the carburetor cleaned. This saw would mostly be something for me to sink time and money into.

031/032 are great saws. Bulletproof. A little heavy. Converted the electronics on mine to the dime a dozen electronic module. About $12 each. Never skipped a beat after that. Run the heck out of them. Used parts are readily available on ebay for the most part

Back in their day, the 032 was a very popular and well liked little saw.

They’re still a good little firewood/homeowner saw to have around as a backup, IF you get it dirt cheap.

If the tag on the top cover only reads 032AV, it should be points ignition.
If it’s electronic it’ll probably read 032Av Electronic, and may also say Quick Stop, which is just referring to the chain brake.

By no means would I recommend one as a primary saw.
But if gotten cheap, and decent shape, they’re a nice little classic saw to tinker with and add to your collection.

Back in their day, the 032 was a very popular and well liked little saw.

They’re still a good little firewood/homeowner saw to have around as a backup, IF you get it dirt cheap.

If the tag on the top cover only reads 032AV, it should be points ignition.
If it’s electronic it’ll probably read 032Av Electronic, and may also say Quick Stop, which is just referring to the chain brake.

By no means would I recommend one as a primary saw.
But if gotten cheap, and decent shape, they’re a nice little classic saw to tinker with and add to your collection.
What would you consider cheap if it runs?

What would you consider cheap if it runs?

That would vary depending, not only if it runs, but also what the overall condition of the saw is.
Such as:
Are the AV mounts broken, or good.

Are the Side and Top covers good or cracked & busted.

Has it been tampered with aftermarket parts, or in its original condition.

Is the Bar decent and usable or trashed etc.

A lot of folks might tell you they wouldn’t give more than 25 bucks.

Personally, if it’s in pretty decent shape overall and runs good, I’d probably give a 100 bucks, possibly a little more.
But that’s me, and I like ‘older saws’ of the 80’s and 90’s vintage, prior to all the bells and whistles, and EPA.

Latest posts

Back