Stihl intake boot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giles

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I only use new or used OEM parts on inside the Stihl 200t that I rebuild. I have a couple ready for intake boot and top handle replacement and they both need rubber intake boots.
Rather then buy new for about $40 or wait for a used one, I thought I would ask if any of the aftermarket boots are acceptable?
One of these saws had what looked like an aftermarket boot that had begun to melt slightly next to cylinder intake.
It didn't look original and appeared to be more plastic then rubber.
Anyone used aftermarket?

A intake boot is something that likely would be fine to use a aftermarket part on. Ive used a few 025 and 170/180 boots and a few husky 61 and jonny 670 boots without issue. All of them are several years old now so id say they are ok. They have all been ebay special parts.

Nope, narrow band clamp. When I pulled that one down, plastic clamp ring was not holding boot tight on cylinder. I didn't want that to happen again. P/C was lean toasted, possible from the plastic clamp not holding tight.

Steve

I only use new or used OEM parts on inside the Stihl 200t that I rebuild. I have a couple ready for intake boot and top handle replacement and they both need rubber intake boots.
Rather then buy new for about $40 or wait for a used one, I thought I would ask if any of the aftermarket boots are acceptable?
One of these saws had what looked like an aftermarket boot that had begun to melt slightly next to cylinder intake.
It didn't look original and appeared to be more plastic then rubber.
Anyone used aftermarket?
I’ve had 2 of those AM boots do that, never again!:cool:

AM boot for 200T
I've had bad luck with the couple i tried. The rubber was shiney and tore very easily. It didn't seem to have the same thickness as OEM and I had a difficult time trying to get It to seal on the cylinder with the plastic flange.
Yes the OEM ones are rather pricey but worth it.
Weigh the risk/reward. Save a few bucks and risk a torn boot and wipe out a P&C.
The AM top handle replacment I've had good success with.
2stroker

Back