Stihl is the debil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bortle

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Finally got out to cut a load of wood with my new to me 028. Cutting up a downed Birch about 24" at the base. The only trouble I had was that it would quit running when it ran out of fuel. Now I want something bigger. Is this what they call CAD? Will a 361 cure this or just string me along for a while until I want a 440 then a 660? I see why some of you guys have so many saws now.

A 361 will cure just about anything but CAD. This, it will only make worse. From what I'm told, this is it's only flaw but, perhaps by design.

Well, I started out with a 310, I loved it, great saw. Then I found this site, I wondered about modding it to get a little more power because I "needed" it, then I hear talk about the 361...... So I talk to my local dealer and start talking about prices and he is willing to buy back the 310. So then I look at the 361 then I also look at the 460 (because I had the money) and I liked it, so I got it.

NOW!! I am still searching this site and the 660 is looking pretty nice (for a partner to the 460 of course.)

I now have a 460 and a 180, right now I am looking at a 260 or a Husky 346. I know that after I buy one of those saws I will be looking at a 660, and knowing me wishing I got one of those instead of a 460.

I would skip the 361 and at least get a 441 or 460.

I don't think CAD is about size as mush as its an addiction to all things Saw. I have what should be enough, but I have this burning thought in my mind that I need a couple larger then what I have, Some more of the size I have and a few smaller ones.

A Stihl can start CAD, but from what I have seen, AS compounds your CAD, and accelerates the symptoms.

$.02

361 + 660 = anti-CAD

my stihl line-up is 026, 361, 660. after recently picking up the 660 i am quickly learning that i really only need the 361 and the 660. i figure if you have all the bar lenghts you may need, you can simply swap the right bar on for the job and cut just about anything you want with the two of them.
:cheers:
(the two echos in the line-up are not going to last much longer on my shelf either.)

Well, I started out with a 310, I loved it, great saw. Then I found this site, I wondered about modding it to get a little more power because I "needed" it, then I hear talk about the 361...... So I talk to my local dealer and start talking about prices and he is willing to buy back the 310. So then I look at the 361 then I also look at the 460 (because I had the money) and I liked it, so I got it.

NOW!! I am still searching this site and the 660 is looking pretty nice (for a partner to the 460 of course.)

I now have a 460 and a 180, right now I am looking at a 260 or a Husky 346. I know that after I buy one of those saws I will be looking at a 660, and knowing me wishing I got one of those instead of a 460.

I would skip the 361 and at least get a 441 or 460.

Looks like a classic case of rationalization-induced CAD! Welcome!:clap: :greenchainsaw:

.....the Precioussss.....we neeeds the Precioussss.....we will serve Master for the Preciousss..........:greenchainsaw:

i would dare to add that if you have CAD you would be in the woods with minimum 3 saws to cut that birch so if 1 saw quits on you because it runs out of fuel....

you can carefuly transfer the fuel from the second saw's tank into the first one.

:cheers:

The 361 will definitely cure you. For a while, like maybe a year or so. Maybe even two. The 70/80 cc bug will lurk around there in the fog somewhere. You are talking some real money with the 660/880 lines. But you are stuck now. One way or the other. If you are extremely lucky, you'll run across that larger displacement saw, used, for a song. If. [I haven't ever been lucky.] But a 60 cc. saw is a must for me, the 361 will do the trick and probably be your main saw regardless of what you end up giving a loving home to.

Last edited:
Low fuel warning

I got a special mod from my dealer last year. When my tank is getting low, a woman's voice comes into my ear muffs and says "Sie mit der Gas Sie sah Gott"

Back