Stihl Lightning G

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CM76

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I unearthed this one today - a Stihl Lightning G. The starter has been temporarily fitted to another saw which broke its spring, but will come with the saw. This saw is a runner, and I hope to have it home soon.

Chris.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice find Chris, looks like it will clean up nicely. That bonnet is as good as you ever see.

Al.

Very nice find indeed. I have yet to find myself a Contra.
Looks to be in pretty good shape needing just a good
cleaning.
I wonder how a Contra G conpairs to an 090G power wise.

Lee

Fantastic, the original alloy cast muff is somthing else. Is the front handle original ? not that it matters, it looks a lot different to ones I have seen ( in pics).

Fantastic, the original alloy cast muff is somthing else. Is the front handle original ? not that it matters, it looks a lot different to ones I have seen ( in pics).

The handle is very different from the pics I have seen, so I am guessing it is a retrofit job. The original muffler is pretty cool - just missing the tin shield from the top. This machine belongs to a guy who has been cutting timber all his life, and still does to this day. He mentioned that the lightnings vibrated like hell, and it was a long day in the saddle when working one of these saws. There is alot of great history with these machines.

Regards,

Chris.

Stihl Contra G

Great Find!!!! I love the old Contras! That G will clean up very nice!

Great find Chris, Looks like it will clean up nice.:msp_thumbup:
Looks like you starter is missing there.

Great find Chris, Looks like it will clean up nice.:msp_thumbup:
Looks like you starter is missing there.

Thanks Cliff. The starter was taken off the Lightning G when the owners other saw (090AV early type) had the recoil spring fail in its own starter. The original recoil is fine, however it has a few broken fins which seems pretty normal for these old saws. I do have a spare starter assy which has no broken fins, so will change it out eventually.

Here is the 090AV which has the lightning starter fitted to it at present.

Chris.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I have come to the realization that my job sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am going through CSW.
Chainsaw with-drawl!

You down under folks seem to have a 090 under every porch!

Ya Chris, you SUCK! Freakin hate you!!!!

The sound alone is worth the effort!
The winding of the gears, along with the rattle in your hand is worth all the effort!

Enjoy it you Ozzy scum! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hollar if you run short of finding a cast emblem starter.

I have come to the realization that my job sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am going through CSW.
Chainsaw with-drawl!

You down under folks seem to have a 090 under every porch!

Ya Chris, you SUCK! Freakin hate you!!!!

The sound alone is worth the effort!
The winding of the gears, along with the rattle in your hand is worth all the effort!

Enjoy it you Ozzy scum! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hollar if you run short of finding a cast emblem starter.

Thanks Matt.

It has been raining 090's in the last 3 days. I have found a number of these saws in one area which is pretty good. Here are some pics of the others that have surfaced. One lot included a huge box of bits which will be enough to complete another saw.

Chris.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I speak for many here!

YOU SUCK!!!!

But damn! What a find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back