Stihl lookalike.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bid on one I think from the same guy and the listing got pulled. I want to get one and thrash it and see how well it holds up.

It's based on German technology (old Stihl patents), manufactured in China, popular in Europe, and is being introduced to American markets by a Canadian.

Little bit of everything there!

My next question is, are all Stihl 038s 72cc saws?

Who knows, if they make them out of quality components they may run and last well and give Stihl a run for their money. I did not have a high regard for 2 Olympic 950 AFF`s that I bought back in the early 80`s but after running the a$$ off them for 28 years and showing them no mercy they are still running well and have never required any engine work. They are not the same quality as a Husky or Stihl in the heavy duty sense but they would have given a regular homeowner as many or more years of service as a firewood saw. I used mine for tree topping and delimbing work and only dropped one of them 60' once and that only broke the chainbrake handle and pivot, it still runs and I keep it around as a part saw that has not been needed as of yet.
Pioneerguy600

It's based on German technology (old Stihl patents), manufactured in China, popular in Europe, and is being introduced to American markets by a Canadian.

Little bit of everything there!

My next question is, are all Stihl 038s 72cc saws?

No, only the 038magnum was 72cc

so i wonder how well they hold up? if they are 100% interchangeable when stuff breaks just replace with the good stuff huh ? what other saws are in the lineup? if they make something compatible to the 44o im there. someone on here with more money than me ought to buy one and give us a report. am i the only one that is broke? it seems nobody has extra cash to spend around my town, maybe it just seems like it to me what do you think? plz keep me posted on these saws it may be something i could us for a while then buy what they are knockin off eith the money made.

Stihl lookalike.

Has anyone seen these, eBay item # 260322312183 , is this what we will be buying in the future?
Pioneerguy600

"Rip-off" is a better word in this case.......:censored:

Btw, power rating are on par with the original (oldest) 038Mag. the Mag II and MS380 has a higher one, and the MS381 a tad higher again.

Last edited:
i wonder if it is something like the cheap honda knock off engines you can get at the pep boys around here. my father in law runs an amusement place with go carts so he gave one a try. he said parts interchanged but they were all cheaply done stamped parts not the same. two hard seasons though and it is still running.

i wonder if it is something like the cheap honda knock off engines you can get at the pep boys around here. my father in law runs an amusement place with go carts so he gave one a try. he said parts interchanged but they were all cheaply done stamped parts not the same. two hard seasons though and it is still running.

I was thinking along those lines also, my brother bought a 6000 w generator with the commercial black colored Honda engine on it and thought what the heck he`d give it a run for the money and dump it later if it did not pan out. All his gear is a tax write off anyway and although that generator engine is louder than most Honda engines it has 5 years of heavy use on it and has not missed a minute of work time, not even had the plug changed, just changes the oil in the winter when things slow for a month or so then back out it goes and runs all the electric gear on the jobsite.
So if these saws are anywhere near the quality of the cheap Honda`s then they would last a homeowner/firewood cutter a lot of years. IMO
Pioneerguy600

Back