stihl ms 180c questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blue924.9

flannel wearin sumbitch
Reaction score
hello all, my grandma has a 180c stihl with a 14 inch bar. about 4 years ago it had a problem, i was not as mechanically inclined or knowledgeable as i am now so one of her friends took it to a guy he knew. the saw came back, and worked, but from then on leaked bar oil like crazy. he also say it revs higher than it should be (even though the saw was never touched from the dealer new when my grandma bought it) and the fix that it should of had would cost as much as the saw so he did a band aid fix and told us eventually it would just give up the ghost. we cut for two more years with it (we cut about 4 cords a year and use the smaller saw as much as we can) and it gave problems, the problem is it wouldnt rev up, would idle like a dream but bogged under rpm. so back again it went to the same guy who band aided it in the first place, in the mail (this guy was an hour away) we got a letter saying the saw was broke and he would "take it off our hands" pissed beyond all belief i drove up there and got there just before closing time demanding the saw back, and getting a 120 dollar bill for him just looking at it. i coughed over the 120 dollars mad as crazy for getting screwed by this guy and him thinking he was just going to take my grandmas saw. (as i was walking i went through an isle that had maybe a foot to walk becuase the saws on both sides were pointing out in the isle with the bar and chain sticking out... just happened to snag a nice new stihl with a 24 inch bar and watch it bend the bar and break the plastic when it hit the ground.. whoops:innocent:)

anyway thinking the saw had met its demise it was put in the shed for 2 years, until now when i dug it out bored out of my mind and looking for a project, took 5 minutes to take the muffler off, and notice that the screen was packed SOLID with soot:dumb2: i felt like the worlds biggest dumb@$$. after soaking it in a little kerosene, then deciding gas was faster. the little screen is now clear and the saw runs like a champ... although smokes like a freight train because of the kerosene:dumb2: but does indeed rev higher than i think is normal.

so my question is, how do you tell if the saw is running too many rpms? this saw is stock as stock can get, and i have been around other two strokes and high rpm engines before, but this thing is unreal. its like there is no rev limiter on it when you go WOT it just revs higher and higher till i run out of curiosity and balls and let off. this saw has me a little stumped even though if i was careful to only rev it during cutting it would work for now help!!!

update: texting my grandma, saw is now mine she has decided she is going to buy a new 14 inch bar and chain stihl saw this summer, even though i tell her that the new stihls are not what the older ones used to be.

guess i just got a free saw:dancing::happybanana::guitar: now i can start selling evergreen firewood to city slickers for their fire pits

Back