Stihl MS 261 C-M Will Not Start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thclimer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My approximate 10 year old MS 261 C-M will not start. It ran fine the last time (about 1-month ago) that I ran it. Normally this saw starts on the 2nd or 3rd pull. This time it coughed on the 3 or 4th pull and nothing after.

It was low but not out of fuel so I added some and pulled it many more times. I pulled the spark plug and it was really wet so I blew it off with some compressed air and gently blew out the plug hole.

Put the spark plug back in and tired again, after a few pulls it coughed, more pulls did nothing. I took the spark plug out and it was wet again.

I dried everything out, put the spark plug back in, held the throttle wide open and pulled a few times again it coughed but would never fire up.

I even installed a new spark plug trying all the above. The results were similar with the only difference being when it coughed it was more vigorous and I though for sure on the next pull it would start, but it never did.

This saw has always run flawless for me, I'm at a loss.

Any suggestions other than taking it to a dealer?

Thanks in advance.

My approximate 10 year old MS 261 C-M will not start. It ran fine the last time (about 1-month ago) that I ran it. Normally this saw starts on the 2nd or 3rd pull. This time it coughed on the 3 or 4th pull and nothing after.

It was low but not out of fuel so I added some and pulled it many more times. I pulled the spark plug and it was really wet so I blew it off with some compressed air and gently blew out the plug hole.

Put the spark plug back in and tired again, after a few pulls it coughed, more pulls did nothing. I took the spark plug out and it was wet again.

I dried everything out, put the spark plug back in, held the throttle wide open and pulled a few times again it coughed but would never fire up.

I even installed a new spark plug trying all the above. The results were similar with the only difference being when it coughed it was more vigorous and I though for sure on the next pull it would start, but it never did.

This saw has always run flawless for me, I'm at a loss.

Any suggestions other than taking it to a dealer?

Thanks in advance.
mtronic? Sounds like a solenoid issue…have had a couple 261s and a 661 do the same clouding thing. Replaced solenoid, reset the saw and back in action.

Does a dealer have to replace the solenoid?
No, you can do that. The solenoid is a dealer only item, however. They are in the $40+ range, last time I got some.
follow the instructions that should come with the part. Only touch the outer portion of the solenoid…they are delicate.

Does it give you spark? (pull the spark plug, reattach to the wire, hold the bottom of the plug against the top of the engine to ground it then pull the cord and watch for a spark).

The way the boot attaches to the ignition wire: There is a bur that comes off of the spring and has to poke through the ignition wire insulation to make contact with the conductor. It's not hard for that to loose contact. Its really hard to diagnose that. Unfortunately, you cannot just replace the wire, but you can get a new boot.

There are some on eBay. Not any cheaper than I would sell you one over the counter.
So, if no dealer nearby certainly an option.

Other than the solenoid it is just a carburetor. So, dirty filter in the tank, or screen in the carb. Bad ignition. Wiring issue. Lot of stuff to work through.

Solenoid most likely , and go from there.

Does it give you spark? (pull the spark plug, reattach to the wire, hold the bottom of the plug against the top of the engine to ground it then pull the cord and watch for a spark).

The way the boot attaches to the ignition wire: There is a bur that comes off of the spring and has to poke through the ignition wire insulation to make contact with the conductor. It's not hard for that to loose contact. Its really hard to diagnose that. Unfortunately, you cannot just replace the wire, but you can get a new boot.
Pretty hard to generate a spark on mtronics

There are some on eBay. Not any cheaper than I would sell you one over the counter.
So, if no dealer nearby certainly an option.

Other than the solenoid it is just a carburetor. So, dirty filter in the tank, or screen in the carb. Bad ignition. Wiring issue. Lot of stuff to work through.

Solenoid most likely , and go from there.
I had a couple 241's the other day that wouldn't run, just a slight pop, the new solenoids did fix this.

Normally this saw starts on the 2nd or 3rd pull.
Really.
One of the biggest complaints I've heard about the 261 is that they take 6-7 or more pulls after sitting for any time at all(not warm). Oh, and that's from the stihl lovers lol. I think mine takes 5-7, I'll have to check next time, I don't pay much attention.

Back