Stihl MS 261 VS Husqvarna 346 XP VS Dolmar PS 5105

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nmurph

nmurph

ArboristSite.com Sponsor
Goner, you haven't been around long enough to have seen this, so i will post it for your benefit. those of you that have seen it a dozen or more times, just bear with me. heck, i laugh everytime i see it!!

this guy knows something about balance; saws and otherwise. too bad his felling skills need a little brushing up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oCDcTxFUkk

MCW

Somebody's talking crap here & it ain't the tree!
The "if you can't handle a chainsaw all day long, then you probably should not be using one in the first place" is getting old though, I must have read it or variation of it on at least 10 occasions on this site.

Hey I believe what I said is a good point. If you're scared or don't feel in control of a 261 yet are comfortable using a 346 then I think you're probably at that point in your life where you should buy your firewood. For instance Sawtroll is simply looking at specs. I can tell you straight up that my 390XP's with 32" bar are just as easy to throw around all day as my 7900's with 32" bar. If you look at just the paper specs regarding weight you would expect the 390XP to be far more tiring but this is simply not the case.
Remember there are some people that use saws, then there are some people that analyse them all day without using them very often.

04ultra

04ultra

"Out of Control"
. AS Supporting Member.
Hey I believe what I said is a good point. If you're scared or don't feel in control of a 261 yet are comfortable using a 346 then I think you're probably at that point in your life where you should buy your firewood. For instance Sawtroll is simply looking at specs. I can tell you straight up that my 390XP's with 32" bar are just as easy to throw around all day as my 7900's with 32" bar. If you look at just the paper specs regarding weight you would expect the 390XP to be far more tiring but this is simply not the case.
Remember there are some people that use saws, then there are some people that analyse them all day without using them very often.

Very true!!!

THALL10326

THALL10326

The Champ
If you just want a 50cc saw for cutting up firewood logs, the 261 surely will work very well, it just isn't what a 50cc saw for use in the woods should be - and that is what the main purpose of 50cc saws should be, imo.
For just cutting up logs, you can just as well use a larger saw, it simply doesn't matter which 50cc saw is .1 second (or even .5) faster in a given cut.

The important thing is how they handle in the woods, and the MS261 probably will fail even worse than the 5100S, when put to that test! It just has too, the way it is built, and the weight is far too close to the ol' MS361, that is much stronger!

As I see it, it is a pretty irrelevant model, that doesn't interest me the least!:msp_sad:

Uhhhhhhhh it was tested in the woods for 2 years before it hit the market, it musta past,LOL

Sawtroll ole buddy your in a bind my friend. If you haven't noticed it appears every single person that has used the 261 like it. The only negativity I've seen on it has all come from one source, a source that hasn't run it, you. How strange, I'm shocked,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

THALL10326

THALL10326

The Champ
I had a lumbar fusion (L5 S1) and went jogging and biking like a maniac after that thinking it was all good to go but it messed up the joint just above so I can relate to you. (well maybe not..your condition sounds really bad) I do some wood cutting with friends that own some forest in Illinois and Wisconsin sometimes and I also take care of my land in spring, summer, fall to clear and collect firewood in the processs. It is very taxing on the back..you have to always be aware of the strain you put on it. When you get warm, you forget that there is problem, then pay for it later. That's whay sometimes, I think I should just stick with the little baby weight stuff I use now. Let the manly stuff for the young undamaged studs. Your feedback is valuable, thank you. (will still get the 346 though) Take it easy and be well.

You haven't bought that saw yet, whats the hold up, you should have had that 346 by now. I hope that man who wasted 1.5hrs on you last week raises the price on ya by $50.00, yeah you deserve it, yak yak yak, buy the dayumm saw will ya, yes I'm Stihl dealer, woulda sent you packing in 15 minutes and dared you to come back,LOL
(messing with ya, go buy the saw)

Oregone

Oregone

ArboristSite Member
Yak yak yak:smile-big:
And Yak yak yak...
You know what I enjoy most...the anticipation of using the darn saw, looking at its fine details, cleaning it up, sharpening it perfectly and owning the darn toy. Once I have it, half the fun is already gone. It's not quite like the first time you go on a date and anticipate all the good stuff coming at you but it's similar.
But you are right, I've dragged my feet long enough. This saturday morning, I am planning on going and get the darn 346XP with 20" bar, .325. I'll buy the square orange case too...that'll be the extra $50 you're talking about.
Yak yak yak
yak yak
I love to yak, what's wrong with that...that's why we are here for anyway....yakking away. Right?

THALL10326

THALL10326

The Champ
Yak yak yak:smile-big:
And Yak yak yak...
You know what I enjoy most...the anticipation of using the darn saw, looking at its fine details, cleaning it up, sharpening it perfectly and owning the darn toy. Once I have it, half the fun is already gone. It's not quite like the first time you go on a date and anticipate all the good stuff coming at you but it's similar.
But you are right, I've dragged my feet long enough. This saturday morning, I am planning on going and get the darn 346XP with 20" bar, .325. I'll buy the square orange case too...that'll be the extra $50 you're talking about.
Yak yak yak
yak yak
I love to yak, what's wrong with that...that's why we are here for anyway....yakking away. Right?

Well good. I called that guy and told him you was coming. If you make me out a lyer I'm gonna kick ya in the gonads so hard you'll need not worry about another date ever,hahahaha

Real tree guys don't use saw cases, cases are for woosies that are gonna store their saw more than they are gonna use it, hell may as well buy a axe if your not gonna use it anyway. Get the case later if you really want it. Buy 10-15 extra chains, a few 6pks of fuel mix and a few cases of bar oil first. That will keep you cutting for a long time and you won't need to go back so often to pester that poor guy,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

04ultra

04ultra

"Out of Control"
. AS Supporting Member.
Uhhhhhhhh it was tested in the woods for 2 years before it hit the market, it musta past,LOL

Sawtroll ole buddy your in a bind my friend. If you haven't noticed it appears every single person that has used the 261 like it. The only negativity I've seen on it has all come from one source, a source that hasn't run it, you. How strange, I'm shocked,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Now Tom.....You cant say that about him....

THALL10326

THALL10326

The Champ
Now Tom.....You cant say that about him....

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yes I can and I enjoy it too,haha. I gotta get ole Sawtroll in the shop one day and sit him on the stool and let him watch customers. Like yesterday. I had a guy looking at a 290,250,261, and 362. He didn't know what the hell he wanted. Unlike many I'm not gonna spend all day fooling with this man talking about weight, handling, flitration and other stuff the average buyer could care less about, I got things to do. After about 10 minutes of him not making up his mind I pulled a fast one. I said check this out. I removed the bar cover on the 261 and showed him that one feature the others didn't have. I said watch. I flipped the cover over in mid air and said look at the bar nuts. He was like wow, now thats cool, SOLD! So much for all that other stuff huh,haha, too easy, way too easy...............

Last edited:
Oregone

Oregone

ArboristSite Member

That would be me right now...Chicago in the winter is no fun to go out and play with a chainsaw. In Australia, Macho Cowboys Wankers can saw away in the sun all year long. Not so here unless it's your job...it is not mine, it is a HOBBY, a hobby I love and relish and do not use as a medium to convey my manhood to the local female birds and squirrels(we all know birds love the smell of manly sweat), I have other outlets for that and I have passed the age for that form of entertainment anyway. This..."get on with the big boys or get outta the way" is an attitude I am very familiar with...in the States, we've got our share of cowboys. Some are for real, some are poseurs. I am no poseur my friend when it comes to doing hard work, I played rugby for 7 years in national league, Judo for the same amount of time, gotten in bar fights, kicked butts and taken numbers, I have pipulled stunts that would make you wet your pants...I am not so proud of some and I did get damaged in the process (although never did as dangerous stuff as what andyshine did with his MS261):hmm3grin2orange: but I've grown enough now to realize that this posturing is quite immature and can be offensive to people less gifted and less reckless than us macho men. Now I build chimney, furnitures and take care of forests, that's my hobby, not my proving ground. MCW stands for "macho cowboys wonderboy", wanker was mean, my apologies.
I love busting southern dundee chops, no NOT really, you always know when you start a fight but not always when or how it'll end....but did I hear that I should start buying my firewood? What the hell would I need a chainsaw for?...a nice display for my mantel? hmmm...lemme think.... :msp_sneaky:

THALL10326

THALL10326

The Champ
That would be me right now...Chicago in the winter is no fun to go out and play with a chainsaw. In Australia, Macho Cowboys Wankers can saw away in the sun all year long. Not so here unless it's your job...it is not mine, it is a HOBBY, a hobby I love and relish and do not use as a medium to convey my manhood to the local female birds and squirrels(we all know birds love the smell of manly sweat), I have other outlets for that and I have passed the age for that form of entertainment anyway. This..."get on with the big boys or get outta the way" is an attitude I am very familiar with...in the States, we've got our share of cowboys. Some are for real, some are poseurs. I am no poseur my friend when it comes to doing hard work, I played rugby for 7 years in national league, Judo for the same amount of time, gotten in bar fights, kicked butts and taken numbers, I have pipulled stunts that would make you wet your pants...I am not so proud of some and I did get damaged in the process (although never did as dangerous stuff as what andyshine did with his MS261):hmm3grin2orange: but I've grown enough now to realize that this posturing is quite immature and can be offensive to people less gifted and less reckless than us macho men. Now I build chimney, furnitures and take care of forests, that's my hobby, not my proving ground. MCW stands for "macho cowboys wonderboy", wanker was mean, my apologies.
I love busting southern dundee chops, no NOT really, you always know when you start a fight but not always when or how it'll end....but did I hear that I should start buying my firewood? What the hell would I need a chainsaw for?...a nice display for my mantel? hmmm...lemme think.... :msp_sneaky:

Oh your picking it for now, MC likes to argue and tell it like it is, why he is worse than me. Tell ya what, for a small fee of ohhhhhhhh 50.00 I'll protect you. When he comes to lay a smack down on you I'll guard ya, yup, I be right behind you to catch ya,hahaha, cash only mind ya and payment before protection,hehehe

Oregone

Oregone

ArboristSite Member
Oh your picking it for now, MC likes to argue and tell it like it is, why he is worse than me. Tell ya what, for a small fee of ohhhhhhhh 50.00 I'll protect you. When he comes to lay a smack down on you I'll guard ya, yup, I be right behind you to catch ya,hahaha, cash only mind ya and payment before protection,hehehe

Yak yak yak
Sometimes, I wish we were all debating those things in the flesh.
Australia is a long way away.
I lived in Malaysia for a while and met plenty of aussies there. Most of them I liked.

Oregone

Oregone

ArboristSite Member
Full moon tonight...is it only in our hemisphere?
I am not sure..maybe it's worldwide?
Weather in Chicago went from -15 F to 60F. It's a major meltdown, snow has gone overnight, the ground is still frozen so it's wet as heck but the skys are clear, enjoying a good Beck in my soon to be pleasant outdoors and it feels like....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=937A1ELVyUs

Can you hear it?

Oregone

Oregone

ArboristSite Member
Good to see ya back down,LOLOLOL

Back down ?, when did you hear me start a fight?
There is no fight here, just a difference in posturing, it's all talk so far.
That's the beauty of the worldwide web, mostly posturing when it comes to flaring tempers. In the ring, temper is worth nothing.

THALL10326

THALL10326

The Champ
Back down ?, when did you hear me start a fight?
There is no fight here, just a difference in posturing, it's all talk so far.
That's the beauty of the worldwide web, mostly posturing when it comes to flaring tempers. In the ring, temper is worth nothing.

You mean your going to take what MC said to you that maybe you don't need a saw, your gonna take that sitting down, come now, surely you wanna smack him on the noggin, do it, be a man, not a mouse. Don't worry about who starts the fight, we can sort that out later,hehe

Oregone

Oregone

ArboristSite Member
View attachment 172745View attachment 172746View attachment 172747View attachment 172750View attachment 172751
The no's would be the same back atya..........but I don't use a racist tone like some!

If it sounds racist to say "aussie", it's wrong and I do apologize.
Racists are idiots.
I sure hope I am not one of them. I do not think I am.
Let's get this thread back on civilized terms, shall we?
To the disomfort and deception of those who relish to see a good fight (and to whom I'll say...get on TV, check out Silva against St Pierre, well..eventually, that'll come), I'd like to share what I did before winter hit.
That's more constructive.

Last edited:
Oregone

Oregone

ArboristSite Member
You mean your going to take what MC said to you that maybe you don't need a saw, your gonna take that sitting down, come now, surely you wanna smack him on the noggin, do it, be a man, not a mouse. Don't worry about who starts the fight, we can sort that out later,hehe

Where is .. ?

Latest posts