Stihl MS 261 VS Husqvarna 346 XP VS Dolmar PS 5105

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
172924d1298142387-img_7319-jpg

Copy and paste the link to the insert image icon.

Yes that camera is nice I saved all those pics. Thanks for the clutch pics how bad is it to swap the sprocket out with the outboard?

Haven't tried that yet but I am sure the clutch is designed to be removable by simple means...I'll check that out.

Is that a 3/8s or .325 bar and chain? Just wondering cause here they come with .325, but I dont think Ive ever seen a .325 bar with the replaceable bar tip. Not saying they dont make them, just never seen one in .325.

It's a .325 0.050. I like the replaceable tip too, I had not seen one like that either until at the dealer, the whole bar looks very well made and designed to handle jams and prying (will not try that though).

Beautiful picture. I see that you took it with a Digital Rebel T2i at 100mm. Is that the 100mm macro lens?
Yes. It's the Canon macro lens EF. Not L rated but much sharper than the L zoom I have. It's the sharpest lens I've ever owned.
I'd give up the L lens for the macro if given the choice, even if it's 2.5 times the price.
Aren't we going to get in trouble with the chainsaw police here for diverting from the subject?
BHAM...WHAM $300 citation "Has nothing to do with the subject " But Mr chainsaw officer, it's not me, it's blsnelling fault !

Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM macro - Review / Test Report - Sample Images & Verdict

Back on the chainsaw wagon.
ever seen the safest / lightest chainsaw in the world?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYHDgQdSjWw

Last edited:
Yes. It's the Canon macro lens EF. Not L rated but much sharper than the L zoom I have. It's the sharpest lens I've ever owned.
I'd give up the L lens for the macro if given the choice, even if it's 2.5 times the price.
Aren't we going to get in trouble with the chainsaw police here for diverting from the subject?
BHAM...WHAM $300 citation "Has nothing to do with the subject " But Mr chainsaw officer, it's not me, it's blsnelling fault !

Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM macro - Review / Test Report - Sample Images & Verdict

I just bought a Sigma 17-70 Macro lens, LINK, and ring flash. I wanted the versatility of a zoom, and Canon doesn't make a macro zoom. I have a 24-105 L IS that stays on my camera 99.9% of the time. However, it limits my saw photo closeups. I just got this lens and haven't had a chance to evaluate it yet. If I like it, I'll sell my Canon 17-85 IS, which isn't a macro.

Last edited:
I just bought a Sigma 17-70 Macro lens, LINK, and ring flash. I wanted the versatility of a zoom, and Canon doesn't make a macro zoom. I have a 24-105 L IS that stays on my camera 99.9% of the time. However, it limits my saw photo closeups. I just got this lens and haven't had a chance to evaluate it yet. If I like it, I'll sell my Canon 17-85 IS, which isn't a macro.

17-70 is a very useful range. You can take about 95% of your pictures with that. Well you had a 17-85 so you must already know that. I owned the 24-105L for a while but I did not care much for it, I sold it and bought the 70-200L and the 10-22 EFS. I rarely use the 70-200 but the 10-22 all the time. If you want to see some of my pictures, I have a bunch here...
http://photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=945342

17-70 is a very useful range. You can take about 95% of your pictures with that. Well you had a 17-85 so you must already know that. I owned the 24-105L for a while but I did not care much for it, I sold it and bought the 70-200L and the 10-22 EFS. I rarely use the 70-200 but the 10-22 all the time. If you want to see some of my pictures, I have a bunch here...
Single Photos: Photo Images by Pascal Agneray Photography - photo.net

Cameras are just like chainsaws, lol. I had the 10-22 and 70-200 and sold them. I never needed less than the 17mm and went with a 100-400L zoom. I had the 100-400 for years but finally sold it too. I didn't go that long often enough to justify keeping it.

Cameras are just like chainsaws, lol. I had the 10-22 and 70-200 and sold them. I never needed less than the 17mm and went with a 100-400L zoom. I had the 100-400 for years but finally sold it too. I didn't go that long often enough to justify keeping it.

If you are into photography and you obviously are, you ought to yourselves to buy a macro prime like the 100mm (sigma, tokina and tamron do good macro primes too). You are going to fall in love with it.
It's weird that you sold the 10-22, I'd never give mine up. I love the 10mm end and use it all the time. Comes to prove that lenses are just like chainsaws like you said; a highly subjective thing.:msp_confused:
Hey I went to see your profile and followed some threads of yours...what the heck is that saw on your picture? You could take down a giant sequoia with that. I don't think we even have a tree in Illinois that would ever need that kind of bar.
(I am exagerating, I have a very large oak in my garden that would require just that to be felled but I am keeping it)
Looks very impressive.

Last edited:
Holy macaroni MCW, The MS 260 exported to Australia have gold plated magnesium handles and are diamond studded or what? What kind of a price is that? I paid $498 with taxes ($460 w/o) for my 346XP.

Welcome to chainsaw pricing in Australia :) We get ripped on basically everything and quite often it's not the dealer's fault, it's Stihl Australia or Husky Australia etc.

Hey congrats on the 346 too, very nice little saw :cheers: Now, bring forth the vids...

I love my 346.
I never used the 20" b/c that it came with, but with a 16" it is just everything I need.
I have EVEN managed a plunge cut successfully from first attempt.
I couldn`t believe it.

It is true I haven`t tried the 261 but I agree with Saw Troll up to a point.
if you have a 346 XP, the 261 is highly redundant. there is no way one could convince me to get one for a second saw.
it would have to be significantly better. (is it? I don`t know)

second, if you start biased, convinced that you`ll hate it, you`ll spot only the bad things.
On the other hand, if I had it for my first saw, I may have loved it and find 346 unattractive.

this brand war is very very funny and I enjoy it. it is like you favor a football team that sometimes wins sometimes not; have you ever assisted to a "war" between two buddies that favor different teams?

Back to Saw Troll; I respect the man, as I respect any of you. from an objective stand, he is right, about the purpose of a 50 cc saw. however, folks like me, have one for all around saw but I do not consider myself relevant in this equation.
If I were the lumberjack chain sawer overlord, very demanding with my saws, every second and every cut meaning a serious amount of money...well, I am insignificant.
however to those of you that like the 261: good for you; enjoy it. you did right, you made the right decision (just because it makes you happy)

as for ST, if he wants to get a new 261 and try it only to declare it unworthy, I will be happy to adopt it afterwards, I will even pay for the shipping
:D

cheers.

Good analogy about sports team...In Chicago white sox/cubs is just like Stihl/Husqvarna. Based on nothing more than a whimsical or heavily subjective/ affected choice at first which develops into some die hard conviction and later defended as if rooted in righteousness and logic (when it has almost nothing to do with logic). If I learned anything on this thread, that's it. Most people are aware of their biais and the one who pretend not to have one are the most heavily picked on (see the crap sawtroll gets).
I must admit, His arguments did resonate with what I was looking for, so in the end, if there is a winning sale...he's the guy. Others will argue that my mind was altready made up, that is only 10 to 25% true...I wanted to secure my biais but it was not set. If most people had argued that the MS261 really was worth the extra dollar and aggarvation to buy, then I would had bought it. In the end, though Logic is an option rarely used in man made decisions, we are animal based, none of us is neutered and our ego and emotions run the show almost all the time. But I need to shut the heck up now, I hear the Chainsaw-Stay-On-the-Subject police sirens echoing afar, they smelt my disgressions again. Watch for the c-SOB police, only business is allowed here,

BTW, it's friggin raining and gloomy outside today, I was going to make a video but I am not doing that in the garage (don't feel like cleaning chips just for a stupid video) or in the rain...I want a happy movie, sun is critical for that...It will have to be delayed. That sucks and sorry. It'll come, it's no big deal anyway, I am taking this whole thing WAAY too seriously. It's just a chainsaw for pete sake!

I think for this summer, I will also buy the little top handle tanaka for climbing in the trees. On a ladder, the relatively small 346XP would not feel that small especially with a 20" bar on it.
I looked at the baby dolmar and redmax but the tanaka is so darn cute and feels perfect in one hand.
Check it out...
http://www.tanaka-usa.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=TCS-3301PFS

Last edited:
I bought a 346 XP a little over a week ago and put 4 tanks through it cutting firewood and took down a leaning box elder for my neighbor yesterday. It seems to have a little more guts than my old 028 super, and it handles much better.
The box elder was about 15" and it didn't even slow it down.

Here's your pics.

1z4inm1.jpg

2v84qdf.jpg

As for camera, what ever the wife will let me use.

I bought a 346 XP a little over a week ago and put 4 tanks through it cutting firewood and took down a leaning box elder for my neighbor yesterday. It seems to have a little more guts than my old 028 super, and it handles much better.

Here's your pics.

1z4inm1.jpg

2v84qdf.jpg

Pictures are great.
You have a big Dolmar, or rather a Makita in blue there. Is that the 64cc?
How does it compare with the 346 in terms of handling feel and power?

Oregone - That Tanaka is futuristic looking! Be smart, stay off the ladder. Get a good polesaw or hire a climber. lol

If you are concerned over price vs performance vs quality why did you exclude the efco 152? You can have a top notch 50cc saw for under $400 with a five year warranty. Ive said it before but check this thread out before you buy if you havent already. One of our site sponsors sells them cheaper than anyone. $365 w/ free shipping. You simply cant beat that deal...This thread have comparison video of all these saws on page 3. My bad, that dolmar isnt compared on this thread. Here it is..http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/133888.htm

Last edited:
View attachment 173086
My friend and I use harnesses and takes it very slow and easy (especially him). I think I will have to get spikes from Bailey's for the rest, that's a fully extended 20' ladder you see on the picture. It is too short for most of the trees in my yard and I will not climb like a crazy monkey, I used too but now, I am too old for that. I have a maple with branches at least 50' in the air and several oaks that are even taller. A pole saw is useless with that. I think the whole point of enjoying cutting trees is to do it yourself. Paying a guy to do it for me would ruin it. Sorry.

Here's your pics.

1z4inm1.jpg

2v84qdf.jpg

Get some more fuel through that 346. I still has some "waking up" to do. Mine took around 8-10 tanks to really come alive. Congrats on a really fine saw purchace!

If you are concerned over price vs performance vs quality why did you exclude the efco 152? You can have a top notch 50cc saw for under $400 with a five year warranty. Ive said it before but check this thread out before you buy if you havent already. One of our site sponsors sells them cheaper than anyone. $365 w/ free shipping. You simply cant beat that deal...This thread have comparison video of all these saws on page 3. My bad, that dolmar isnt compared on this thread. Here it is..http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/133888.htm

Honestly, price was not a concern. The rep had some efco's there on major sale.
I looked at them and thought...I am an idiot for spending twice as much but it's my money...I do what I want with it.
I know you are a Efco rep so I will take it easy on Efco but IMHO.
I see Efco as a good old chevy Impala from Italy (when they manufacture Alfa Roeo, Ferrari, Lamborghini) while I see the Husqvarna as a Ferrari from Sweden (made in canada). You pay double but you get the best, or close to it.
Efco probably are just fine but they looked bulky, not as space or ergo-optimized as the 346XP is and the plastic looked a bit like the inside of a rental car.
I know a chainsaw is not for a beauty contest but my shallow self does give importance to looks. In pure practical terms for the amateur that I am, you most probably make a lot more sense than I do.
I already bought the XP and I think I like it (A LOT)

EFCO 152 CHAINSAW

Honestly, price was not a concern. The rep had some efco's there on major sale.
I looked at them and thought...I am an idiot for spending twice as much but it's my money...I do what I want with it.
I know you are a Efco rep so I will take it easy on Efco but IMHO.
I see Efco as a good old chevy Impala from Italy (when they manufacture Alfa Roeo, Ferrari, Lamborghini) while I see the Husqvarna as a Ferrari from Sweden (made in canada). You pay double but you get the best, or close to it.
Efco probably are just fine but they looked bulky, not as space or ergo-optimized as the 346XP is and the plastic looked a bit like the inside of a rental car.
I know a chainsaw is not for a beauty contest but my shallow self does give importance to looks. In pure practical terms for the amateur that I am, you most probably make a lot more sense than I do.
I already bought the XP and I think I like it (A LOT)

EFCO 152 CHAINSAW

Thats all cool, but wanted to point out that I am not an Efco rep.....im just like you... a user. Im just trying to get people to notice these efco....its always between stihl and husky it seems....Ive ran them all....the efco 152 is not the fastest highest reving saw. It is faster than a 346xp in wood over 10in. Its got more torque so it doesnt drop off like the 346. I got to run one of them new 346's the other day....they are nice...no doubt....but the is efco right up there with the husky and stihl performance wise. Ive been saying this for like 6 yrs now....and until recently nobody even new what an efco was. The guy I was cutting for ran my 152 and went and bought one in Wilmington. It replaced his 029..not quite the same comparison....I know. Just thought Id throw that out there.

Latest posts

Back