Stihl ms 361 air leak issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sre09

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello. A friend gave me this stihl ms 361 to look at it because it doesnt run well. It starts cold but as soon it returns to idle from high idle it just runs fast and chain its moving, and then quit runing. Where should i look first for an air leak on this saw?

Hello. A friend gave me this stihl ms 361 to look at it because it doesnt run well. It starts cold but as soon it returns to idle from high idle it just runs fast and chain its moving, and then quit runing. Where should i look first for an air leak on this saw?

I always look for the bubbles coming out when undergoing an 8# pressure test.
:laughing:
But a quick check of the fuel line, impulse, or intake boot may find your culprit.

I always look for the bubbles coming out when undergoing an 8# pressure test.
:laughing:
But a quick check of the fuel line, impulse, or intake boot may find your culprit.
I checked all hoses and intake and all seems fine, i also checked bearings and they have a bit of play in the case

you really need to do a pressure test to confirm there is no leak. a little in/out play of the crank is okay. What you don't want is radial(side to side) play.
The crank has radial play, so i wonder what is the number of SKF bearings because those on the saw are made from plastic

here is what i find on the fuel filter. Inside was some kind of sponge but i dont think that is normal for a fuel filter. Here are some pics

Attachments

• DSCI0977.JPG
    DSCI0977.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCI0978.JPG
    DSCI0978.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCI0979.JPG
    DSCI0979.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 21
That's the old style fuel filter. The foam degrades and gets carried into the carb and trapped in the pick up screen. This will cause a lean condition.

But if you have play in the crank, it has bigger issues. Those bearings and seals need to be replaced.

The flywheel side bearing is just a 6202, but the PTO side is proprietary STIHL only bearing. Better save your pennies.
Same PTO bearing as an 034/036 so you may be able to find a suitable AM option.

That's the old style fuel filter. The foam degrades and gets carried into the carb and trapped in the pick up screen. This will cause a lean condition.

But if you have play in the crank, it has bigger issues. Those bearings and seals need to be replaced.

The flywheel side bearing is just a 6202, but the PTO side is proprietary STIHL only bearing. Better save your pennies.
Same PTO bearing as an 034/036 so you may be able to find a suitable AM option.
So you suggest to buy a pto bearing that will fit also to 034/036?

Look here

images

Yep if you could borrow it i will do a pressure test
i like to help you but i am in europe, but if you want to service saws this is one of the most important tools, and is not expensive , its the ears and the eyes for servicing saws

“It runs at high idle and then it quits running”
Everyone is correct that it sounds like an air leak, and I agree. A pressure and vac test will tell the tale, but remember that this is an MS361. Where do most MS361’s have air leaks? The impulse hose!
These saws are getting old, but I rarely see bad bearings or seals. What I find several times a year is an impulse hose that has come off the handle housing side nipple. The impulse hose on this model isn’t a ribbed type hose, but a length of 0712-923-8004 fuel hose. It’s not as resilient as the ribbed hoses, and experiences all the flexing, heat, cold, and vibration that occurs between the engine and the tank housing.
I see this failure so often that I replace the impulse hose when I service the MS361. Call it preventative maintenance. The hose can usually be replaced without removing the tank housing. The engine side end can be a real bast#%d to get off the crankcase nipple, but other than that it is a simple job.
I’m a big fan of going after the low-hanging fruit. You can see a disconnected impulse line with only a flashlight. If it’s disconnected, replace it. If there are still running issues, do a P and V test to find any other crankcase sealing issues that may exist.

Back