Stihl MS 381 (Big Brutus) Question?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talon1189

"Da Smiley King"
Reaction score
" Big Brutus " My newer MS 361 is now 4 weeks old :cheers: Has anyone ever used a product called "Fluid Film" sprayed underneath the chain catcher cover to keep the oil covered saw dust from sticking inside of this area for a quicker cleanup?? Fluid Film is much more popular in the lawn care industry as a lubricant plus an under the mower deck anti-stick spray that is known to keep cleanup of grass to a smaller effort :biggrinbounce2: All feedback is appreciated including "Thall and Manual"..............Hehehehe :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

We use Fluid Film alot in aviation. Works great as a corrosion preventative. I've never thought to put it under the clutch cover. Build up has never been a big deal to me. I just get out the big chunks with my finger when I flip the bar, and some of the nooks and crannies with a scribe once in a while.

I know that at work, we don't like to put too much on because it will acutally hold dirt and salt and make things worse than they were. I get build up in alot of places on my saw, personally, I wouldn't worry too much about the clutch cover. But if you want to, by all means, have at it, just go easy on it. Maybe WD-40?

Maybe WD-40?
Yup............but WD-40 is solvent based :eek: while the Fluid Film is lanolin based and does not evaporate ;) I just took Big Brutus apart to change the chain today and he was filthy under the clutch cover :pumpkin2: I am a clean finatic with my chainsaws :hmm3grin2orange: Only the best gas and oil, chains, filters and overall care by me for Brutus will be excepted :yoyo: I want Big Brutus to last me 20+ years as he is used for lighter commercial right now :hmm3grin2orange: I am considering a modified dual port muffler for him in the very near future >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

silicone lube spray (home depot brand - jigaloo) mist it on, let it sit for a bit, wipe it off and buff it. Not much of anyhting will stick. I sprayed a brand new lawnmower several times and no grass ever stuck.

SRT-Tech said:
silicone lube spray (home depot brand - jigaloo) mist it on, let it sit for a bit, wipe it off and buff it. Not much of anyhting will stick. I sprayed a brand new lawnmower several times and no grass ever stuck.
Thanks for the suggestion...........I have a couple of silicone spray cans here at home ;) Fluid Film is really unique and is much more sticky and thicker bodied IMHO ;) I am gonna spray under my freshly cleaned clutch cover on Big Brutus my MS 361 tomorrow morning and will report back later on how it works out ;) I predict that the saw dust chips will just fly out with less cleanup at chain changeover time :biggrinbounce2: Does anyone know for sure from experience? Less cleanup is a good thing right? :blob2: >>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

Tried sprays a long time ago. Wasn't terribly impressed. Since I use compressed air to clean the rest of the saw before I towel it off anyway, I figure it's easier to just blast the crap out of the cover, too, along with blasting the rest of the saw.

talon1189 said:
Yup............but WD-40 is solvent based :eek: while the Fluid Film is lanolin based and does not evaporate ;) I just took Big Brutus apart to change the chain today and he was filthy under the clutch ...
These saws have a very clean design under the cluch cover, compared to most other saws - i believe that the build-up wold have been much worse with a Husky or Dolmar, especially if you are ripping the wood from the side, and get those loooong curly fries.
:rockn: :rockn:

How about a wax, possibly like Bowling Alley (carnauba) paste wax, possibly applied OVER TOP of buffed out silicone spray? At least paste wax wouldn't be "wet" like silicone spray.

I'm not sure there IS a solution to this, since there will always be oily sawdust and sappy chips flying around in there...

I like to keep my saws clean too but this is one area that doesn't cramp me up too much...I figure the buildup of sawdust in there will keep any bar oil from getting into the clutch...

Swannie said:
Can't let a thread with Big Brutus in the title go by without posting this link :D
http://www.bigbrutus.org/
Shoot, I thought you were going to show a REAL Big Brutus. The stihl 090, That way he could put jr 361 back in the play pen. :biggrinbounce2: :laugh:

Cut4fun said:
Shoot, I thought you were going to show a REAL Big Brutus. The stihl 090, That way he could put jr 361 back in the play pen. :biggrinbounce2: :laugh:

I thought when he said 381 Big brutus got ported.
Heres Little Winky with a modded muffler. Did it myself.
Tig welded, Lakeside specs.
If Little Winky is not dirty I'm not making money.

Last edited:
manual said:
Good picture Manual........except I don't use a green safety chain on mine :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: I named him Big Brutus cuz he dwarfs my other saw my MS 180 LOL! and is so much bigger and stronger :buttkick: I just bought a Redmax commercial hand blower last week and I named her "Blowhard Bertha" :ices_rofl: :ices_rofl: I am thinking about buying a modded muffler for Brutus from Washington Hot Saws while keeping the stock muffler for warranty purposes :popcorn: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

manual said:

Where's the spark arrester?

I dunno of but one Green chisel chain. RSC3. And that chain on manuals 361 isn't it.

Chaser

Edit: Oregon also has several green chisel chains...Manuals chain sure looks like RS or LG yellow chain, though...

talon1189 said:
Good picture Manual........except I don't use a green safety chain on mine :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:>>>>Talon

Last edited:
wagonwheeler said:
I dunno of but one Green chisel chain. RSC3. And that chain on manuals 361 isn't it.

Chaser

Edit: Oregon also has several green chisel chains...Manuals chain sure looks like RS or LG yellow chain, though...
I know :hmm3grin2orange: I was just messing with Manuals lumber here :laugh: Hehehe :biggrinbounce2: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

wagonwheeler said:

Chaser

I once posted this, and feel like repeating it here....
SawTroll said:
Kick back reducing chain.... is a more proper term than "safety chain", as no saw chain is really safe.

Just remember that the are some principally different types of such chain out there:

1) The chain with tripple-hump or just one large one, on the tie straps between cutters. These are the ones that really suck, slowing down cutting in general, and making bore cutting next to impossible.
Stihl RM2, PM1 and Oregon SL, VG belongs to this category.

2) Chain with a small ramp on the driver, directly in front of a narrow (not "bullet-shaped" like on Stihl RS/RSC and Oregon LG) raker.
The combined size of the raker and ramp is not much larger than the raker alone on the RS/LG, and I think you would be hard pressed to notice any slower cutting - maybe there will be a small difference in very long cuts.
Some even say that these chain perform better than LG/RS for bore cutting.
Oregon LP/BP/VP (++), and Stihl RSC3 belongs to this category.

Carton/Woodsmanpro also have variants of both types, but I suspect that the ramp on their "category 2" chain may be a bit larger than on the Oregon variants.

3) The somewhat bullet shaped rakers on chain like Stihl RS/RSC/RM/RMC and Oregon LG etc were also originally conceived as a kick-back reducing feature - at least according to Oregon.

4) The most kick-back aggressive chain are those with only a narrow raker, and no bumps or ramps, like Stihl RSK.

In addition we have oddballs like the Oregon Vanguard (V), and I am sure there is more.

By the way, this is my post number 2000 here, and hopefully it makes some sence....:cheers:

Lakeside53 said:
Where's the spark arrester?
I got a call last Friday and Sthil dealer said that the screen and clip is in but the "chain catcher" was on back order.
That pipe was made out of stainless 9/16" I.D. and 5/8" OD.
Gutted out two sides of the screen inside and opened up the tip of the stock tube outlet as much as I could without harming the way it is held together.

wagonwheeler said:

Chaser

Thats a "Total" chain P/N NT980PC-68L it's 3/8 .050"/1,3mm about worn out. I like it. But have to travel 40 miles to get one. I only have to travel about 12 miles to get the RS so I'll be picking one up with the other parts I ordered.

manual said:
Thats a "Total" chain P/N NT980PC-68L it's 3/8 .050"/1,3mm about worn out. I like it. But have to travel 40 miles to get one. I only have to travel about 12 miles to get the RS so I'll be picking one up with the other parts I ordered.

Manual just drive the 40 miles and buy a dozen ...:hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back