Stihl MS 460 and a 046

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Smith

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a delima here. Ive got a running MS 460 that I have been cutting with for about a month now. I have just acquired a very clean 046. The bummer with the 046 is that it has been crashed and the brake handle,clutch cover and a small piece of the case is busted off nothing that would hurt running it. Here is what I am wondering is a ms460 jug and slug the same as the 046? I have seen post about some of the older 046 having better jugs with bigger d shape intake port. I would like to take two saws and make one really nice one,prolly using the 460 to do so. I would like to use the 046 piston and cylinder on my 460. My 460 piston and cylinder looks good but the 046 looks better as you can still see the factory milling marks. Just curious if this swapping is possible to do. Thanks

Well, you have two pretty complete saws. I don't recommend "parting out" a repairable saw. I just parted a saw but the crankcase was smashed and I needed the engine parts to repair another one. Fix up the 046 and use it next to the 460. Draw your own conclusions then sell the one that loses your love. (or keep them both)

Its possible to swap the 046 topend over to the 460 yes. The early 046s had a D shaped combustion chamber and the transfer porting was a bit higher. They do run better than the newer choked up 460s. Pull that 046 cylinder and see what ya got!

I know if I repair the crashed 046 then I will keep it for sure rather I need it or not. Im not sure what to do the 046 has nice shiney plastic a factory dual port muffler and a super clean piston and cylinder. my 460 is a nice saw but the plastic is kind dull and the 046 jug and slug is better than the 460. Regardless what I do I will not part out either one of them the lesser of the two would get the parts to repair whats broken and sold.

I know if I repair the crashed 046 then I will keep it for sure rather I need it or not. Im not sure what to do the 046 has nice shiney plastic a factory dual port muffler and a super clean piston and cylinder. my 460 is a nice saw but the plastic is kind dull and the 046 jug and slug is better than the 460. Regardless what I do I will not part out either one of them the lesser of the two would get the parts to repair whats broken and sold.
boss if u like the 046 plastic just put them on your 460 . it could just be like swaping the covers and top end . no mods need just bolts right on

Last edited:
Its possible to swap the 046 topend over to the 460 yes. The early 046s had a D shaped combustion chamber and the transfer porting was a bit higher. They do run better than the newer choked up 460s. Pull that 046 cylinder and see what ya got!
The 046 was originally a little lighter, and rated at less power, than the 046 Mag and the 460 - at least according to specs.

Specs don't mean crap on those saws are far as power. The D shaped combustion chamber with a dual port is going to be the better running regardless of power rating. Just swap the 046 cylinder to the 460 and part the 460 out depending on where the case is busted.

I bought a similar 046 on eBay last spring. The bottom has a chunk taken out of the case as well. I put a new style tank on, that came with a new tank vent and green fuel line already installed. Paid about 90 for the tank. I also ended up putting on a new clutch kit, clutch drum, chain catcher, clutch cover, hd2 filter, and new chain brake handle. It's my favorite saw now.

Specs don't mean crap on those saws are far as power. The D shaped combustion chamber with a dual port is going to be the better running regardless of power rating. Just swap the 046 cylinder to the 460 and part the 460 out depending on where the case is busted.

Could well be, for all I know.....:givebeer:

As a matter of interest which way did you go? What did you swap over? I'd love to know the history of the MS 460?

As a matter of interest which way did you go? What did you swap over? I'd love to know the history of the MS 460?
Yup the saw you bought is the product of the two above mentioned saws. Your saw does have the D shape high port cylinder from the 046. Between both of the saws I was able two build one really nice saw which turned out to be the 460. after finishing both of them I sold the 046 and kept the 460 for myself. since it had all the options and was such a clean saw. I have several saws in my stable but have a soft spot for clean shiney saws. I decided to sell this one only to use the money to buy a new tubing bender for one of my racecar projects. I can go deeper into detail in the morning when I get home But I have to head off to work for now. Thanks again

Latest posts

Back