Stihl MS 660 Magnum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Alpha1

100% USDA Certified Abnormality-Free.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I was in my local hardware store yesterday and went to the outdoor power tool dept.

They are a STIHL dealer and they usually carry 6-8 models. They had a MS 660 Magnum on the shelf. I picked it up and gave it a good looksee. Very impressive saw. Not sure how long of a bar it had on it, but it was at least 32" or so. The saw was priced at $1019.00 + tax.

Also, anyone have a pic of a saw with a wrap-around handle? I'm just curious as to what they look like. What are the advantages / dis-advantages of the wrap-around?

Although I have absolutely no use for such a large (read expensive) saw, I sure was tempted to pull out the ole credit card (0% interest for a yr.) and buy it anyways.

TIA!! :)

The price is about $20 higher than here, but depending on which bar you buy with it......
You can never go wrong with 66, imo. Great saw. one of mine has a wrap, and one has a 1/2 wrap. I can get pics if needed, but I'm sure others here already have pics ready that they can post.
-Ralph

monster

Sometimes overkill is a good thing. Sometimes.
You have to ask yourself "would I actually use this thing enough to justify it?". For me, the answer would be no. Don't get the wrong idea, I would love to play with one for a hour or so...

This year I threw $800 into a MS460, and in reality the 440 would have been enough for me, but I like watching the chips fly :D

My 660 was $1018 back in the spring with 32" and axtra chain, mine is set up .375 pitch. The are impressive to run as is but need the muffer mod or two hole cover real bad as they are seriosly choked down from the factory.

I have a stihl 066 mag and it is my second one and I love this saw it has excelent power and weight I would defiently buy this saw again.

It's the "legend" of saws. Power to weight, I don't think you'd beat it. Mine's still running in at present.
Mind you, if you don't need the 92 cubic centimetres, then you'll be paying a lot for a saw that may not get used enough. If you can justify a saw that big then you wont go wrong with the 660.

Do a search through my posts, and you'll see my favor for full wraps. I love them, many don't. Each of my saws has one. I used a saw (036) with a half wrap the other day, and I felt naked without the wrap. They're more popular out here on the West coast for timber falling, as are long bars. The terrain out here is uneven at best, and very often you'll need to fall a tree from one side, and you may not have a choice as to which side you get to stand on-depending on slope, lean, obstructions, etc. So you may have to turn the saw over, and cut with the clutch cover up to cut effectively. Many scoff at this idea, but look in the back of any professional timber faller's truck on the West coast, and you'll see a full wrap and a 28" bar at least. I love them. My buddy mills with a 660 w/ a full wrap, and he loves it because when he sets the mill down, the saw rests on the wrap handlebar, and not on the saw itself. Just another reason why they're cool.

As far as pics of a full wrap, I started a thread a while back about my new full wrap on my 361, pics included-

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=23720&highlight=361

Also in this thread, there's a pic of me using my 361 with the full wrap on it-

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=23956

I'll put two pics here-one of me yesterday using a 660 with a full wrap milling. You can't see the full wrap very well, so the second is of my saws, showing their wrap handlebars. The 361 in that pic is still wearing it's old style wrap, compared to the new factory style full wrap I have on there now.

Jeff

Last edited:
I have had both half wrap and full on 66's, I broke both wrist when was young so I like the half wrap alot better , the full wrap is straighter across and it makes you bend your wrist more plus around here with the stump height laws the full wrap is in the road on some stumps,

Oh Mc Daddy i near pucked them from horror don't expect any McCulloch Xmas cards this year from me.
How come ya went over to the dark side Mc Dath Vader.

Mc Bob.

I would much rather wearout a stihl than a Mac Im joking I think the 660 is the best big work saw on the market today As for small work saw I will take a 372

ehp said:
......so I like the half wrap alot better , the full wrap is straighter across and it makes you bend your wrist more......
I think that is a very valid point, even though I have not broken my wrists... :blob2:
The streight across handlebar is also likely to bring the bar at your head instead of over your right shoulder in case of severe kick-back when bucking, unless you bend that wrist.

When cutting left-handed, the story is quite different though..... :alien:

Dangit......I STIHL (pun intended :) ) have that danged MS 660 on my mind. I'm seriously thinking about taking in my "as new" 029 Super Farm Boss and see what I might get for it on trade against the 660.

This is crazy.....I need that 660 like I need another hole in my head. Oh well.....two holes are better than one. :dizzy:

Do you all think I need therapy......or just a big ole new saw? :blob2:

Latest posts

Back