Stihl ms201t

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well cosmetically it is a bit more rounded the the boxy 200, that spring getting effed up was not due to gettin the saw stuck....but a matter of bearing down on it as one would do with the 200, then bam....bent spring or mount site gets cracked!!

The only bad thing about the 200 or 020`s was the on & off switch.....tight crotches would choke it off, now as for performance.....you better run the 201 yerself instead of someone else??? it has what seems to be a shorter power band & thats great for average cutting.......but big meat bogs that saw like a poulan wildthing!!!

Now compare the millage of the plastic casings......the 200 is much more thicker, the 201 is the same as the 192........an over priced cheaply made saw......bottom line!! all the improvements you think are good are also the achilles heal of the saw & the problem with the gas vent & carb are from end users not performing maintenance.

Look at the pull cord rewind in that 201.........junk, notice anything about that wire routing to the electronic ignition???? Look, Like I said the motor is good!!!!!! its just the rest of the saw that will fall apart & its awfully funny of those 5 saws in the shop..........all of em were to replace the 200 & a must have by because there stihls & its a new product...............

well those 4 fellas are running 200T`s right now cause the 201 couldnt handle the same abuse/conditions!!! I say wait a couple months & then check your saw shop...........201`s will be the floor mat you walk in on!!!

LXT................

Looks like they still have those ####ty caps on the 201's? Such a simple thing to ruin and make a pia.

that's why I won't buy one. I'll pull an old 019 off the retirement shelf before I spill another 10 gallons of bar oil all over the place again this season.

I respect your opinion, but the saw resembles a 200t, not a 192. Gonna have to do some picture comparison. You are correct about the spring AV, that's about it. 201 shares the similar tank, crankcase and handle designs. What I like about the 201 is an improved on/off switch, better carb (hopefully no more accelerator pump problems), tank vent and hopefully they did away with the bakolite type crank seals (A big PITA to change).

200t are good saws overall (I own 2, a rear handle and a top handle), but they suffered from a lot of carb problems, tank vent issues, and I've bought a few with broken cranks. The 020t was a amazing saw as well, but the 200t is faster, as they changed porting and carbs.

I let my buddy climb with the 201 on a 36" pin oak crane removal since the limbs were very horizontal and covered in ice, so he was crawling all around the tree and smacking the saw the entire time. It did a great job. We usually only use a 044 or 460 with the crane.

I dont think the 201 is junk i just dont like taking a step backwards. i think when a new saw comes out it should be better or equal to the previous. and anymore thier not. not junk but not worth buying. especially if you have to throw a couple hundred more at it to get it running as good as or better than a 200.

I agree with Matt.....I should re-state my view, the saw is not junk It is just as Matt said " a step Backwards" when you are use to a certain standard & then the new product falls way short, well...... I just call it junk!! its not, but...it is dissappointing!!!

LXT..............

the internet is a bad place to start rumors based on just a few problems of a couple members. I was reading about the new 6.7 ford diesel and a guy blew one up because a rock put a hole in his oil pan. Is the new ford 6.7 diesel now junk because of that issue?

The springs probably got pulled out because someone got the saw stuck. As for crankcase problems, what are you doing to pop a hole in it or break it? Probably got dropped out of the tree, the stuff happens. My 200t needs a new chainbrake handle because of gravity and i had a tank break as well before.

actually i think this post is a bit ass backwards , if you have a brand new engine and the mechanics are already shunning them , then there junk , and as far as the 201's are concerned they are junk too they are a half breed 192 /200 and they are tits on a bull ... Maybe they can make a mod for it that replaces the engine and clutch of a 201 with a 200 , now that would be worth it ....

i agree with matt.....i should re-state my view, the saw is not junk it is just as matt said " a step backwards" when you are use to a certain standard & then the new product falls way short, well...... I just call it junk!! Its not, but...it is dissappointing!!!

Lxt..............

when they turn on the lights in the bar and you realize the girl that you just wasted 20 bucks on and 2 hours is missing her front teeth that is a dissappointment ,but when you spend 600+ on a new saw after they basically scrapped the best ever ,well thats a bit different i was mad enough to almost buy a husky and believe me thats saying something

Thanks for your two bits boyes.Maybe Stihl will pull there heads out of there butts and make some case and handle improvements for 2012-2013. It seems stihl has also headed down the road of disposible products. All we can do is keep makin saw dust and hope for the best with the 201T's.........

Cooey..

I hear lots about "power" in the discussions about trim saws but to me the #1 factor is control and comfort. As brought up above "handle improvement" here comes the barn burner I'll run a modified echo with a 18" bar to trim with over a short bared 200t. I ran a 338 for 3-4 years and 200t's for 6-7. love that 338. stihl ergonomics suck:taped:

A 12 inch bar screams on the branches.

Hell yes! And safer too when you're holding a limb with one hand and cutting with the other. A 12" gives more chainspeed, more torque and more precision. Plus, you can still handle a 14" or 16" cut with little extra maneuvering. I have gone to shorter bars on both climbing and felling saws and will never look back....

I go big saw short bar when I'm bucking down but when trimming I switch up and use a long bar on the trim saw. It started some years back when pruning big conifers. The short bars wont work because the circumference of the tree was so great you couldn't get a close cut. Then I started to prefer the longer bar for the fact that I tended not to reach as much, which keeps my work closer, which is where I'm stronger and safer, which also saves my shoulders.
338xp long bar. trim
200t short bar . removal

I think everyone is being grumpy because the 200's are gone. I have a brand new 201 and I love it. I've run 200 for the last 2 years, my 201 sounds identical. The only 200's that sound different are just older/used so they sound gruffer. The 201 has more bhp too, 2.41 vs 2.1.

The 201 is a great saw, time will tell how the body holds up. I love mine.

I think everyone is being grumpy because the 200's are gone. I have a brand new 201 and I love it. I've run 200 for the last 2 years, my 201 sounds identical. The only 200's that sound different are just older/used so they sound gruffer. The 201 has more bhp too, 2.41 vs 2.1.

finally some positive feed back, keep cutting, let us know how the 201 performs long term.

peace cooey..

Are you sure you are looking at the right numbers on the side of the saw? There is no chance stock for stock they sound anywhere near the same, or have near the same power. After using the 201T for a while now. I do like it better than the 200T. I think it is better balanced, I like the handle/trigger better, and a few other small things. The side cover is kind of a pain to get use to. As far as power, it plain sucked until Brad got his hands on it. Now I can say its a good saw. Time will tell if I can call it a great saw.

yeah, im talking about the 201. check the specs. the 201 has more horsepower. 2.4 vs 2.1. i think the only 200s that sound different are older (meaning used for awhile) , so they have the nice gruff sound to them.

I sunk my 16" all the way into some live oak removals the other day and the power held up nicely. with a sharp chain, the saw is a beauty.

I hear that some day husky is going to put out a saw to compete, or even exceed the 201..It's the t540xp, I've actually got one on order at my local saw shop. Only problem is so far it's a myth, maybe even a legend kinda like bigfoot or the lochness monster..There's "pictures" but no actual body to examine..

Oh well, I'll wait on that before I deal with any more of those fancy new caps.. Thanks stihll....

I'll wait on that before I deal with any more of those fancy new caps.. Thanks stihll....

I dont really care too much for the new caps, but what I do is before I flip the tab down, I pull up on the cap to make sure its locked in. It only takes a second, and i havent had any problems since I started doing it.

Ms 201t

I just got a new MS 201T , 2 weeks ago. Compared to a MS 200T , it is a piece of junk !!!!!!

I know , I've read the posts ,,, "YOU HAVE TO MOD THEM "

WHY ????

After spending $635 plus tax on a PRO SAW , the thing should run !!!!

Brand new out of the box , MS 200T ,

1: fill with gas and oil .
2: put choke on , pull cord .
3: take choke off , pull cord .
4: let her rip !!!!

Brand new MS 201T

1: fill with gas and oil .
2: put choke on , pull cord .
3: take choke off , pull cord .
4: put choke back on , pull cord .
5: take choke off , nurse throttle , little longer , little more , OK .
6: cut , oops , wait for the throttle lag .
7: now cut .

ITS REALLY BULL TO HAVE TO FIX A $635 SAW !!!
I never had to touch a MS 200T , started right up and ran .
The MS 201T , every time i shut it down , its an ordeal to get it running.

JMHO

Latest posts

Back