Stihl MS230

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goball

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Due to health and other reasons, I though I was pretty much out of the chainsaw business but a close friend showed up with his MS230 that he's very happy with. It not a reliable starter which surprises me but agreed to have a look at it. Initially it started and ran pretty well but when left a few days, it wouldn't start. I had a look at the carburetor, a Zama S76B 943A type. Looked like the metering valve system was in reasonable condition and the diaphragms OK but afer many attempts to start/run, it continually spits gas back through the carb inlet. Adjustment of the H&L screws doesn't seem to make any difference. Tried adjusting the metering valve adjustment but that didn't help at all. I'd appreciate any suggestions you might have. Thanks.

Sounds like it may just be a leaky needle, but instead of bothering with messing with the carb, just pop on a new one. As the carb kit is @ $19.

1123 120 0603 CARBURETOR (MS250) 21.99

These prices are at the Stihl dealer.

Take a close look at the fuel line, they are known for cracks.

Replaced the carb kit and saw started right away. Brother took it back and worked it for a while then after shutting off, it wouldn't start again until it had cooled off. His second saw, also an MS230 acts the same way. I looked at it, adjusted the carb a bit and it started right away when cold but also would not start again until it had cooled off. This makes me think the there might be a design issue here. Has anyone had similar problems? Suggested he let the saws idle to cool down for a short time after working it hard but won't know the result of this idea for a while.

Last time I had a problem where a saw would start when cold and not start when hot....turned out to be a dying spark plug. I had chased what I "thought" was a fuel problem for days. A new spark plug fixed it! Just a thought!

Latest posts

Back