Stihl MS250: end of the road?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bitsumishi

bitsumishi

ArboristSite Operative
So I have had my 250 for 10 years. Used it only in the winter for cutting firewood. Regularly serviced either by me or by dealer. Found it to be a great all round saw with an 18" bar both for small and large stuff, with a great power to weight ratio.
Couple of months ago after I serviced it, it would start fine but as soon as I revved it, it would stall.
Took it to a repair shop who told me the new spark plug I had put in was faulty and he replaced it and checked the saw: spent 45 minutes on it, total bill $130.
Anyway, I used it for the first time since the 'repair', yesterday, and it worked for 20 minutes, then kept stalling as I was using it (especially if I turned the saw on it's side), then wouldn't start at all.

Question is I can't really face the inevitable argument with the repair shop as I am recovering from a heart procedure.
As the saw is 10 years old, is it worth persevering with this saw either with more cost or stress or should I get something else?
Trouble is no one seems to make a 45cc saw at only 4.6kg. I have a newish Dolmar/Makita 61cc but for most stuff I need to cut, it is too big and heavy for me.
I suspect that the issue was the carby all along? and I dont think the part itself is very expensive. I'm just not sure that spending another 100/200 bucks on a saw which is 10 years old is a wise thing to do.

cus_deluxe

cus_deluxe

Commie Satan turd
That dealer should be ashamed of himself. Me personally, i wouldnt put any more $ than you already have into that saw, but thats just me. Aftermarket carbs can be had for $10 or so on ebay, and are easy to replace if youre feeling adventurous. Fuel line also sounds like a possibility, which is a little bit of a bugger to do on these but not impossible for the average guy either.

andrethegiant70

andrethegiant70

Addicted to ArboristSite
Sooner or later, saws need service. That's a homoeowner model for sure, but the very cool thing about it is that the 250 can be rebuilt with kitchen drawer tools (and an 8 dollar Stihl t-handle wrench for about $40. But, you have to want to. If you're committed to NOT digging in, then yes, go buy an Echo and Fleabay the 250. If you feel like returning it back to it's former glory, then do some searches on here... lots of 'em on the 021/023/025/210/230/250. All the same saw.

I'd say you either need seals (somewhat less likely on this saw) or some carb work (somewhat more likely). A VERY useful thimg, if you're going to fool with saws.... get a carb rebuild under your belt... surprisingly easy and cheap. And by the way, in a few years, the "new" Echo will need some carb work.

bitsumishi

bitsumishi

ArboristSite Operative
Ok thanks everyone. Bedtime here. I will take a closer look at the saw tomorrow. Anyone have a link to a parts diagram as I have never been further in than the air filter and spark plug.

Sepia

Sepia

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Sepia

Sepia

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Sounds like your saw is due for some maintenance. Some time and effort will be required by whoever does the work. Do it yourself and it likely won't cost very much at all. Pay someone else and you might as well take the advice above and buy a new small Echo or Dolmar, and post your Stihl on the internet for sale.

Latest posts