Stihl MS250 oiling problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a few (more) spare minutes and went out and looked again at the 250 and found a small crack around the oil pump, slightly below it and oil was leaking out of it so I got my soldering iron and melted the plastic together then filled up some of the area with epoxy. That will either help it or hurt it, don't know..
If the epoxy was ok for petroleum you're fine. If it comes into contact with your oil and it's not resistant it could break down over time.

I'm all out of JB Weld right now and ended up using some clear stuff, Hardman's I think is the name. It's worked pretty well for me in the past but it's not as good as JB. I just used it as a coating anyway, the major repair was done by melting some of the plastic from another part of the saw into the hole..

Okay, the sprocket came in today and I ran out to the shop and put it on the saw. I fired up the saw and didn't seem to be getting much oil. I pulled the bar back off and noticed on this Stihl brand bar that there were oil holes on one side only, if I flip the bar it won't get any oil. I noticed also that the oil hole goes through both bar rails which I don't think is the best. Anyway I started it with the bar off and the oil pretty well gushed out of the oil port. I put the bar back on with the oil hole at the top and started it again and the saw started oiling. Glad that's over!

Back