Stihl MS270 running awful...dealer clueless

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, not knowing any better, Id have thought it would mean something, but this experience shows its just a label, and isnt worth much at all.

It just means that the dealership has 1 guy that passed the classes, and he is usually not the one that would work on your saw. And the area rep scours the region, borrowing all of the required shop tools for the pics, so the shop itself can "qualify". Once the dealership "qualifies", the "uber" shop is dismantled, and all of the tools returned to the lending dealerships.

I got a MS 270 not by purpose, but by accident. Of all the saws I have ever had this is the worst. It is a genuine piece of doo doo. It has less than 12 tanks of fuel on it. Of course it got a carb kit and several cleanings. After replacing two ignition modules with Stihl and still erractic spark. Each time I replaced the coil it started right up made a couple cuts and put on the shelf. Waited a couple of months it started made a couple of cuts and back on the shelf, A couple months later was thinking I could use it to do some limbing because what else is it good for. No would not start because no spark. So will put on a complete different ignition system on it or it will go to the scrap metal pile. And no it will not get parted out because the satisfaction of pounding it with a 12 lb sledge hammer is priceless. Maybe your problem could be ignition. Thanks

I got a MS 270 not by purpose, but by accident. Of all the saws I have ever had this is the worst. It is a genuine piece of doo doo. It has less than 12 tanks of fuel on it. Of course it got a carb kit and several cleanings. After replacing two ignition modules with Stihl and still erractic spark. Each time I replaced the coil it started right up made a couple cuts and put on the shelf. Waited a couple of months it started made a couple of cuts and back on the shelf, A couple months later was thinking I could use it to do some limbing because what else is it good for. No would not start because no spark. So will put on a complete different ignition system on it or it will go to the scrap metal pile. And no it will not get parted out because the satisfaction of pounding it with a 12 lb sledge hammer is priceless. Maybe your problem could be ignition. Thanks
+1

It's a POS. Repairs are generally more than the saw value. On mine, the flywheel was actually bad, not the coil.

And it's a funky design. A clamshell with a half mag and half plastic engine holder assembly that needs to be fully split just to remove the clam.

Never again.

It just means that the dealership has 1 guy that passed the classes, and he is usually not the one that would work on your saw. And the area rep scours the region, borrowing all of the required shop tools for the pics, so the shop itself can "qualify". Once the dealership "qualifies", the "uber" shop is dismantled, and all of the tools returned to the lending dealerships.
Truth^^^^^^

Latest posts

Back