Stihl MS271 Cylinder and Piston Kit, looking for source

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is no AM option for the 271. IMHO, I would just sell off the carcass for whatever you can get and go buy the 261 you want. Spending $200 (+bearings, seals, maybe) seems dumb as you would still have a 271 when you were done.

My buddy bought a brand new Stihl MS271 and someone put regular gas in it. He ruined the piston and cylinder. The local repair shop said "not worth fixing", but if I fix it myself, I'm pretty sure I can have it free. It probably has three hours on it.

I can find the piston kit with no problems, but after 30 minutes of searching for a cylinder kit, I can only find one on eBay for $200. I'm hoping you folks who shop this stuff more often can find me another source and maybe even a better price. On one site, it seemed they had EVERY cylinder, except the MS271.

Also, are there any other parts I'll need to check to make sure they don't need replacement as well.

I'm not much of a wrench turner, but willing to try. Thanks for any advice.

My buddy bought a brand new Stihl MS271 and someone put regular gas in it. He ruined the piston and cylinder. The local repair shop said "not worth fixing", but if I fix it myself, I'm pretty sure I can have it free. It probably has three hours on it.

I can find the piston kit with no problems, but after 30 minutes of searching for a cylinder kit, I can only find one on eBay for $200. I'm hoping you folks who shop this stuff more often can find me another source and maybe even a better price. On one site, it seemed they had EVERY cylinder, except the MS271.

Also, are there any other parts I'll need to check to make sure they don't need replacement as well.

Thanks trouts, looks like the cylinder has a different exhaust port on it or It may have worked.

Torn between parting out this saw and buying new or spending the $200 bucks for a cylidner and piston.

I don't know much about it to be giving advice but I was wondering if your buddy is from yacolt? It's not worth letting the shop fix it cuz they charge an arm and a leg just to tune it and replace the spark plug so I can see why they told you that. You can get a new cylinder and piston on Amazon for a decent price.... A 271 brand new will run you upward of $800 so paying $250 for a new cylinder and piston isn't bad for basically what will end up being a brand new saw. They really aren't that hard to work on. Use YouTube as a guide and just go slow and make sure everything is right before you try and fire it...those Chinese saws are pretty much an exact clone of a Stihl to the point that factory Stihl parts fit right in them without any problems at all and they are fairly cheap. I hear from guys that reviewed them that they are good saws....if they are an exact cline its no wonder....that might be worth it if you just plan on using it yourself....i doubt id try selling it as a complete stihl cuz you might end up with a professional tree gut trying to buy it only to discover that you sold him a clone and no telling what they might do to ya for that lol... That's my opinion anyway

No 261 parts are used on a 271. Farm saw compared to pro saw.
Please for get about aftermarket parts. You will be building a saw with more potential issues.
Jump on a good used OEM or get a new P&C.

I don't know much about it to be giving advice but I was wondering if your buddy is from yacolt? It's not worth letting the shop fix it cuz they charge an arm and a leg just to tune it and replace the spark plug so I can see why they told you that. You can get a new cylinder and piston on Amazon for a decent price.... A 271 brand new will run you upward of $800 so paying $250 for a new cylinder and piston isn't bad for basically what will end up being a brand new saw. They really aren't that hard to work on. Use YouTube as a guide and just go slow and make sure everything is right before you try and fire it...those Chinese saws are pretty much an exact clone of a Stihl to the point that factory Stihl parts fit right in them without any problems at all and they are fairly cheap. I hear from guys that reviewed them that they are good saws....if they are an exact cline its no wonder....that might be worth it if you just plan on using it yourself....i doubt id try selling it as a complete stihl cuz you might end up with a professional tree gut trying to buy it only to discover that you sold him a clone and no telling what they might do to ya for that lol... That's my opinion anyway
A new ms271 runs under $600 around here

Back