Stihl MS341

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adomas

Reaction score
Hello,

I am going to buy a chainsaw for Logosol/Timberjig sawmill. The dealer offered me Stihl MS 310 saw, but when I compared them in more detail I come into conclusion that MS 341 or 361 perhaps are better. I will saw mainly conifers with up to 18-20" chain. The saw will be used approximately a few times a month. I live in Lithuania and if interested the approximate prices for 310/341/361 are: 770, 910 and 1000 USD. Is my choice for MS 341 correct or maybe you can recommend a better one? Here in Lithuania prevails oppinion that Stihl is little better compared to Huskies.

70cc or better is a milling a rule of thumb. There are those here that do sucessfully mill with smaller saws, so it can be done. The 361 is 59cc, so depending on what size bar you wish to have & what type of wood(hard/soft), imho i would go with a 361 or better. That is if you can swing the $.
RD

Last edited:
Hello,

Here in Lithuania prevails oppinion that Stihl is little better compared to Huskies.

Uh-oh....let the brand wars begin......:sword:

There is nothing wrong with the Huskys. Pick a saw that has good dealer support that isin't 3 hrs away.

RD

I will use chain not longer than 20" and the logs are from pine (up to 40 cm) in diameter. I have been working with timberjig for a few months. Until now I have used my small Partner 352 (36 cc). The saw is still working, but I don't think it will work for a very long time, because it is indended for domestic use and is not durable. So I am searching for a bigger and durable saw with more power. My short practice suggests that the most important feature is durability of the saw and power is only a second point. Of course, I can buy Stihl 660 or 880 saw, but it is much heavier than others and I don't think it would be easy to use them with short chain (14-16"):D

I would say that the 361 would work fine for your purpose. Going from your 36cc to 59cc is like a scooter to a BMW touring bike. Keep us posted...
RD

Latest posts

Back