Stihl MS361 a real ripper when you let it breath.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadihman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I bought a MS361 a little while ago. I rebuilt the carb, split the muffler and gutted the inside and then added a pipe to the side to make it a dual port. The compression is good at 165psi. I finally got to run it today in a lot of red oak and hickory with the 20" bar buried. Wow this is the most responsive saw to a muffler mod I've ever run. I ran it against my brothers stock 361 and it was a huge advantage with mine. He asked if I could do a dual port muffler mod for his 361 before next weekend as he loved mine. Sounds good to. Those mufflers are so choked up it's no wander it makes such a change.

The 361 has a bad rap here, but it is a great saw. It is unfortunate that Stihl only got out one four port saw before the stratos hit the market.

Really, I thought the 361 was a loved by many. I think they will out run a 362 I had a 362 and my brothers 361 ran better than it. The oiler could put out a little more. Oils fine for a 20" but not quite enough for a 25"

The 361 has a bad rap here, but it is a great saw. It is unfortunate that Stihl only got out one four port saw before the stratos hit the market.

Yes, the 361 is an excellent saw, but sadly it wasn't followed up on in other sizes.

Btw, as far as I know the 361 has an excellent reputation on here, at least it did when it was a current model....

I've had my 361 for a year or so now and I opened the muffler a month or so after I got it. It responded well to the mod and it's my favorite saw in that class. If I haven't used it in a while it always surprises me the first time I sink it in good red oak and let it cut. IMHO it's one of the very best Stihl ever made.

I've had my 361 for a year or so now and I opened the muffler a month or so after I got it. It responded well to the mod and it's my favorite saw in that class. If I haven't used it in a while it always surprises me the first time I sink it in good red oak and let it cut. IMHO it's one of the very best Stihl ever made.

The US ones need a muffler mod badder than the others, but it makes a little difference on the Euro version as well! ;)

Yes, the 361 is an excellent saw, but sadly it wasn't followed up on in other sizes.

Btw, as far as I know the 361 has an excellent reputation on here, at least it did when it was a current model....

Someone call the mental ward and find out what happen to ST

He said something good about a STIHL CHAIN SAW

Really, I thought the 361 was a loved by many. I think they will out run a 362 I had a 362 and my brothers 361 ran better than it. The oiler could put out a little more. Oils fine for a 20" but not quite enough for a 25"

Put the R model 460 pump on it if you want more oil, it fits.

MS361 gets alot of cutting time at my woodlot. Will be the first out the truck tomorrow afternoon and monday morning while I am cutting. :msp_thumbup:

Smoothest saw in the cut I have ever run.

Hmmm:confused2:, Maybe I should consider a MM and possible port job on my ms361? Who would you all recommend to fix me up with a nice port job? I think the MM I could handle unless whoever does the port job prefers they do it specific to compliment the port?

There is no such "rule", I judge each individual model by itself! :givebeer:

The 361 is an exception for Stihl though, as it is their only quad port saw that isn't a "strato".
It is a husky design after all right.

The US ones need a muffler mod badder than the others, but it makes a little difference on the Euro version as well! ;)

Instead of mm on the 361 I wonder if there is anyway to order or buy the Euro muffler here in the epa choked up states ? Im in the beginning of trying to mod and install a 036 muffler on my MS 361, I like the front cover that un bolts. If it works out I will do another 361mm post here , if it dont work youall will never know.

Back