Stihl ms361 with .325 pitch chain and 9t sprocket truth or fiction?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nurseryman

Reaction score
I understand that Stihl makes a 9t sprocket but only for .325 pitch chain. I currently went from a 7t to an 8t (w/ 3/8 chain) and love the speed advantage, makes for labor free cutting and I was wondering if the 9t was truth or myth and if anyone was using it and if it had an advantage or whether it was negated by the smaller chain.

.325x9 results in pretty much the same "gearing" as 3/8"x8.

What works best on your saw in your wood will depend on many factors, so you just have to try both options to know. ;)

.325x9 results in pretty much the same "gearing" as 3/8"x8.

;)

I have seen this logic and many yes that is right afterwords however I fail to follow the logic. Normal chain two drive links equals one cutter. Say eight tooth drive sprocket that means every revolution four teeth pass any spot. Yes the chain speed is faster on the 3/8 but for every 8 teeth of 3/8 chain there are extremely close to 9 teeth of .325 in length.

It is about how much chain is moved per revolution of the engine. Chain speed is a product of that amount times the rpm of the engine - on a direct drive saw that is of course.

Latest posts

Back