Stihl MS391 with a 25 inch bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seller has a lot of items listed from a closed shop. Generic description. Pics didn't look right to you? You're pretty tough to persuade.

Yeah, ol' bucknfeller is kinda picky about stuff like that. Shoot, you should see how picky he gets over the plastics on a saw matching perfectly, he's tossed new plastics to the side, and glued the broken old piece together just so it looks right cosmetically, instead of worrying about structural soundness. Weird, huh?

Yeah, I don't know about...............hey wait a minute that wasn't bucknfeller I was thinking of, who was that guy?...................It'll come to me give me a minute............

Nope, that'd been me. I now have a "calico" 039. Hate its looks, but the glue didn't take on the handle. Trust me, it won't be that way for long. Looking for matching cover as we speak.

In comparing the two saws, I don't see where I flipp-flopped. You may have misunderstood it. I said the difference I've noticed was "nothing to brag about". I use both models regularly, as in just yesterday in some 2 cords of 20"-22" wet oak laying on my side yard. Cut mostly pine in the 18-26" range with the same "close" results..

It might be hard to tell the difference in wet oak and pine. I'm sure if you put those 2 saws together in some really hard wood, or bigger wood, say 30" or so, you could plainly see that the 440 is a different caliber.

The Chi-Com units I've used, including the one I just finished, IMHO, do not compare to OEM, new or used. This one is no exception. Built 7 now. Without any port work, they're simply not as "snappy" in their response. They wind up slower. They'll still run within specs for the saw, and cut wood. That's my opinion based on 7 built saws, 3 of them Chi-com cylinder-ed. The disagreement before was about "pro" saw kits. The original guy didn't care that I found a boatload of OEM clam kits. On this past saw I lost 3-4 bids on 039 cylinders. They get snatched up quick when offered buy=it=now.

Maybe I've just been lucky. I've rebuilt about 2 dozen saws, just this winter alone, about half of them just got a piston, the other half needed the whole p/c kit. I havn't noticed a lack in performance with the AM kits, matter of fact a few of them ran stronger than my personal saws with original jugs.

Haven't deleted anything. Havent used any !#$@#$, the only reason I deleted it last time. Why you would go to the trouble of copying internet tripe to repost is kind of troubling. How old are you? That you can't understand what I posted is your problem, not a flip flop, but even if it was, why can't you ignore it, or just let it go?

I didn't have any problem with you telling the "Polar guy" to "#### off" :D I found it amusing to tell you the truth. Say what you mean, and mean what you say! That's fine by me. I just pointed it out when you backpeddled out of it :msp_thumbup:

I only deleted it because it was childish internet BS.

Only posted my observed opinion based upon the woods I've been cutting with both saws, at the same time. Both are fresh and had new chains. 30"+ wood may indeed show a remarkable difference. I doubt the oiler on a 039 could handle a bar greater than 30". I don't know for sure. I built more than 40 saws so far, most have been cleaned up OEM and most have been Stihls. I've built up 7 of the 039's. I run 25" bars on all of them. Given a choice, for near the same money, I try to wait for a deal on OEM. I've not had a single failure with the 039 AM cylinders, or pistons yet, but that could be due to using OEM circlips, wrist pins, bearing and Caber rings. Glad you've had good luck with them. Which saw models? Lots of people here have had to "clean" the cylinders up quite a bit just to run them.

Nope, that'd been me. I now have a "calico" 039. Hate its looks, but the glue didn't take on the handle. Trust me, it won't be that way for long. Looking for matching cover as we speak.

I know a guy in your city that used to be a Stihl dealer, but he wasn't a big revenue generator for them so they dropped him, and left him high, and dry with all of the parts he had in stock. He told me when he got ready, he'd sell everything to me for a few bucks. I've seen a lot of it, and there's got to be at least 8 medium/ large sized corrugated boxes filled with factory packaged NOS Stihl parts. I have all of his original Stihl IPL, Repair, and Tech Bulletins at home in El Dorado County.

Only posted my observed opinion based upon the woods I've been cutting with both saws, at the same time. Both are fresh and had new chains. 30"+ wood may indeed show a remarkable difference. I doubt the oiler on a 039 could handle a bar greater than 30". I don't know for sure. I built more than 40 saws so far, most have been cleaned up OEM and most have been Stihls. I've built up 7 of the 039's. I run 25" bars on all of them. Given a choice, for near the same money, I try to wait for a deal on OEM. I've not had a single failure with the 039 AM cylinders, or pistons yet, but that could be due to using OEM circlips, wrist pins, bearing and Caber rings. Glad you've had good luck with them. Which saw models? Lots of people here have had to "clean" the cylinders up quite a bit just to run them.

Are these all 039's, or are some of them 390's. Same saw, just different vintage. Did the original 039's have compression release buttons?
25" is fine by me, but 30" would definitely make it teeter over the edge.

The stuff of dreams. A gold mine for saw nuts.

Only one was an original 039, the rest started out as 029's. All the OEM cylinders are either Mahle, or Stihl branded. Some have decomps, which I've plugged, and some don't. Unsure about the decomp question. The only "real" 039 I have doesn't have a decomp.

Last edited:

Most of what I work on are 40-60cc saws. Mainly Stihls and Huskies. Too many different models to list. 350's, 55's, 455's, 025, 026, 028, 029, are the most common around here. Had a few bigger saws this year, MS440, 288xp, 372, 046. Really don't see too many saws around here much bigger than that.

I've had to touch up a chamfer here and there, but nothing major at all. I figure if you've got enough sense to rebuild a saw, you should have enough sense to check out the chamfers!

I've been using the pins and the clips that come with the Meteor pistons, just trimming the dog ears off the clips. That seems to be working fine.

A couple of 036/ 064/ 065/ 070/ 084 088 /090 kits might be in there, along with some NOS oil pumps for 028's. I'd settle for just a full box of Walbro carb kits and misc Stihl fuel lines and impulse lines. Those add up real quick.

No old green Poulans? Great saw and well designed. Hardest part about them is finding some of the parts. They're all NLA, at least the parts I've been in need of have been, and scarce. 029/290's are most popular here. Husky Ranchers too, but I've never done anything more than fuel lines / carb kits on them. I've got a few" pro" saws, but prefer rebuilding/upgrading the 029's. I could do them in my sleep.

He has done a bunch of carb work on his 390 I liked what he was saying and he could feel the difference when using it so I'm going to try some more different things to make it feel more like my 044's

Cool. Would you mind sharing your mods & effects of them? My 390 was a birthday gift from my kids, so it's always going to be around. Might as well tinker with it.

Nothing wrong with it in general, actually I think it is "underrated" by many - but I suspect the top end porting and the muffler are the main obstructions on that specific saw, as the carb already is ample size for the cc, as I remember it?

Exactly, but who really cares what those that has the stomac to run that so-called saw really put on it?:sucks:

I had problems stopping laughing, after I picked up a MS390 at a dealer - it just felt like a bad joke, for being sold as a chainsaw. ;)

Now I know why this beer truck out in front of your place is half empty

View attachment 283209

Cool. Would you mind sharing your mods & effects of them? My 390 was a birthday gift from my kids, so it's always going to be around. Might as well tinker with it.

MM

Then I went in and did more of a MM

Mod's on the exhaust port

Mods on the intake port

Went back in and open up ports even more

Changed to a different piston and rings

Now I'm waiting on a new carb to be delivered; after talking with a member here about his gains on the carb he uses

I used several different brands and types of chain to find what worked best

Each mod there was gains

I believe I only have 22 hours on this saw every mod I've done makes it stronger; like I said in this thread I want to make this as close to my 044's as I can

I did the muff mod. I was surprised at the difference that made. Before the MM I would have had to agree with the haters about this saw. Mine was an absolute turd in stock form, ran nothing like what a 64cc saw should run. With the MM it now runs pretty much exactly what I expect a typical 64cc saw should run. It would be fun to tinker & see how far it can go, though. IMO, the MM merely put the saw to where it should be from factory. A saw shouldn't be all choked off like that. Good thing is that it's a very easy mod to do.

The power to weight ratio of the MS391 is really bad, and I fail to understand why anyone would want a plastic cased "homeowner" saw that size.

I am sure a 25" could be used in a pinch though, with skip chain - if the oiler copes with it.

im with you on the why would anyone want the plastic cased saw ,ive never ran one ,but i see some here and there with 28 inch bars on them around here ,some loggers even work with them ,one guy i know mills with one ,i would never think that would be possible due to the size ,i asked a couple of the owners why not a 440sized saw instead ,reasoning was they can throw them away if they break and get another one for a cheap price over the pro saws

Exactly, but who really cares what those that has the stomac to run that so-called saw really put on it?:sucks:

I had problems stopping laughing, after I picked up a MS390 at a dealer - it just felt like a bad joke, for being sold as a chainsaw. ;)

Okay great you picked it up! Awesome, did you actually use it or just not like it due to the color? Was the balance off or something?? Did that 1 pound difference turn you off? How many cuts did you make with one before you laughed?

Are these all 039's, or are some of them 390's. Same saw, just different vintage. Did the original 039's have compression release buttons?
25" is fine by me, but 30" would definitely make it teeter over the edge.

039 390 same saw, 039 no decomp, early 390 no decomp, shortly thereafter decomp on MS390's I have a buddy that cuts lots of firewood that picked up a decent MS390 used with 25" B&C and was a bit of a dog for how he was using it,,,, He wanted to know if I could do anything to help it Soooo....

Did a MMod, and enhanced Exhaust port widened and raised polished, then port matched the muffler and opened the muffler exit opening & deflector, worked on the piston a bit removed 1mm from intake skirt and slicked up the windows to give it a bit more intake duration, widened and polished the intake port.. removed Carb adjustment limiters, rebaselined carb settings

Pulled a 25" Stihl bar with full comp without any problem in hard wood,,,

Last edited:
Can always make room for another project. What's missing on it and how much you need for it?

View attachment 283237View attachment 283238

This saw is from Oct, 2000. Shrapnel in the cylinder. Complete in the body bag, except 1 bar nut that i had to use for another saw. The dawgs are new and air filter. Ran great before the grenade went off. Send PM

im with you on the why would anyone want the plastic cased saw ,ive never ran one ,but i see some here and there with 28 inch bars on them around here ,some loggers even work with them ,one guy i know mills with one ,i would never think that would be possible due to the size ,i asked a couple of the owners why not a 440sized saw instead ,reasoning was they can throw them away if they break and get another one for a cheap price over the pro saws

for a landing saw the 039 is good enough, and will pull the 25" & 28".

Latest posts

Back