Stihl MS440 starting problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allboy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hopfully someone can troubleshoot this problem. My MS440 would not start. So i pulled the plug and added some fuel to the cylinder. I started and ran well. It restarted all day when warm, but once it cooled down it wouldnt start. Can anyone suggest what this might be? Carburetor maybe?
I use this saw for hunting and only use it once a year. I had fuel in it but I had put stableizer in it. Is it best to store the saw with no fuel if it sits unused this long?

I'm guessing it has something to do with the diaphram in the carb, probably starting to harden up due to the ethanol. I would not leave the fuel in the saw even with the stabilizer. It could also be your adjustment screws are out of tune since it runs once you give it some fuel.

I will put a carb rebuild kit in it. Whats it take to get the adjustment screws correct without a tachometer

I will put a carb rebuild kit in it. Whats it take to get the adjustment screws correct without a tachometer

Just put the carb kit in, it ran well before right? Many times I just have to do a carb kit and it fires up just fine.

Latest posts

Back