Stihl MS460 Muffler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Four Paws

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a favor to ask anyone with a factory dual port cover on their 044/046 saw. Could you please measure the slot on the front cover for me? I am trying to approximate surface area of the opening. Going to do some serious testing and work on mine in this next week.

The stock hole on a new MS460 is 3/8" = .110 in^2

attachment.php

attachment.php

Check your PMs

edit - measured mine:

.2085" wide by 1.3585 long (5.29mm x 34.50 mm)

...give or take...

Last edited:
I use the spot weld cutter method too but instead of ripping the top part I use an air body saw to cut them a Jig saw will work too make sure it's mounted in a vise it makes it much easier.:chainsawguy:

What about the back plate behind the inside baffle, diverter???

I drill the little spot welds and while in a vise I use big pliers and pry it from the muffler. I often times do have to grind a little though.

Do you leave it where the flange fasteners go through the back of the muffler????

I was thinking about Making a plate with 5mm tapped holes one set for 066/ muffler flange bolt centers and one for 44/46's to bolt the muffler down without using a vise so I can mount it on the mill table and use an end mill and remove all of it down to that back plate,,, that way you can remove your screen and use a 90* die grinder or porting hand tool and a carbide cutter and work at it from the inside, leaving the outside diverter in tact???? :monkey: :monkey: ive put them in the vise before and bent the muffler casing just enough that the covers are hard to get on or seal very well afterwards

Last edited:
Do you leave it where the flange fasteners go through the back of the muffler????

I was thinking about Making a plate with 5mm tapped holes one set for 066/ muffler flange bolt centers and one for 44/46's to bolt the muffler down without using a vise so I can mount it on the mill table and use an end mill and remove all of it down to that back plate,,, that way you can remove your screen and use a 90* die grinder or porting hand tool and a carbide cutter and work at it from the inside, leaving the outside diverter in tact???? :monkey: :monkey: ive put them in the vise before and bent the muffler casing just enough that the covers are hard to get on or seal very well afterwards

When I am done there is nothing left but screens. I will admit it is a pain in the A$$. It is a pretty crude process.

Back