Stihl MS460 part numbers help?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncvarmint

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a MS460 i bought a month or so ago and went by the dealer on friday to get a larger felling dog for the clutch cover side. But when i did a search on here everyone is using the part number
Inner # 1122-664-0506
outer# 1128-664-0501
Ceramic chain catch # 1122-650-7700
2 nuts #9214-320-0700
2 screws #9008-319-0960

But the one my dealer gave me is part number 1122-664-0500 ( it is for the ms650 saw). Does anyone know the difference between them. Do i just order the MS650 inner felling dog and use it. also will the Ceramic chain catch fit on these spikes, or do i need to take it back and order the parts for the ms460

thanks a bunch for any help

trevor

Another question is how many different size felling dogs are there for the ms460?

You have the correct part numbers. The 460 has a longer case and that is why the dawgs from a 440,660,etc., will fit on the saw, but not line up. Have him order the correct part. As far as dawg sizes, I believe the Stihl options are the small dawgs, and the larger style. Aftermarket dawgs are available, but are often very oversized. Depending on your conditions the oversized dawgs can be a real PITA to use. The single stocker works just fine if you don't do much falling, or are not bucking stuff up that is much longer than the bar.

I do some falling and do cut alot of stuff as big or alittle bigger than the bar. Just hope they will exchange the part for the right parts. Also i was thinking of the Ceramic chain catch is it nice to have, (my dealer said if you don't use it, you can break the clutch cover if you get in a bind or something like that.. Any idea of the prices on all that?

trevor
You have the correct part numbers. The 460 has a longer case and that is why the dawgs from a 440,660,etc., will fit on the saw, but not line up. Have him order the correct part. As far as dawg sizes, I believe the Stihl options are the small dawgs, and the larger style. Aftermarket dawgs are available, but are often very oversized. Depending on your conditions the oversized dawgs can be a real PITA to use. The single stocker works just fine if you don't do much falling, or are not bucking stuff up that is much longer than the bar.

I think the dawgs are going to run about 14 bucks or so each, and the catcher is about 7 bucks or so. The catcher does sorta tie the whole set-up together, but you would have to be pretty rough on the saw to break the clutch cover. They should exchange it, the gave you the wrong part. If they don't, find a dealer that sells to tree guys, loggers, etc.

It would be nice if there were a outer dog to match the inner dog, then i could just cut of the excess off of the bottom of the outer dog. If you use a Ceramic chain catch, don't you have to unscrew it every time you need to take the bar or clutch cover off. sorry for so many questions, but i need to figure out what i want , as i have to prepay to order this stuff.

trevor

The part number you originally got off the site will match perfectly. The catcher bolts to the clutch cover and the case-side end of it just slips into a hole on the inner dawg. No bolting needed after it goes on. Just get the part numbers ordered from the numbers you got here and you will be good to go. No grinding, drilling, or butchering required! LOL I will see if I can grab a pic off 460 vs. 650/660 dawgs for you.

This stinkin' site, now i am looking at ordering the stuff to make an High output oiler and a 32" bar to add to this saw. Maybe i need to leave this site before i go broke, LOL

trevor

Or you can call Madsen's... they have the large fallin' dogs with a ceramic roller catcher for 044/440, 046/460, 066 660...

They are black oxide and come with all the mounting hardware to boot... here is what the look like on my 044...

170325d1296412334-044-dogs-jpg

Gary

How much was all that, looks better in black i think.

trevor
Or you can call Madsen's... they have the large fallin' dogs with a ceramic roller catcher for 044/440, 046/460, 066 660...

They are black oxide and come with all the mounting hardware to boot... here is what the look like on my 044...

170325d1296412334-044-dogs-jpg

Gary

200T460660002.jpg

Here are the large stockers, on the left, compared to the large stockers for a 660, on the right.

200T460660002.jpg

Here are the large stockers, on the left, compared to the large stockers for a 660, on the right.

Thanks for the pics oscar4883
The one i bought looks more like the one on the left. Going to head to another dealer today and see if they have any parts in stock.

trevor

pro safety dogs in oz

hi,
theres a guy in australia selling all different types of dog spikes for stihl and huskys on ebay, he's got pro safety ones and some others that i think he has custom made ill post the photo of them, they look tuff View attachment 201742

Back