Stihl MS460 Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmsmoke

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a 260 Pro with an 18" bar that given enough time will do almost anything I ask it to. I cut 5 to 6 cords a year for heat and although that doesn't seem to be enough to justify another saw, it sure would save me some time on the 30"+ oak and cherry I process occaisionally. I will continue to use the 260 on the smaller stuff.
I've made up my mind to buy a new MS460 and don't know if I need to upgrade to the "R" version or not. I think the 460 will wear a 25" (possibly 28") bar most of the time for the bigger wood. This combination of saws should get me through 99% of what I do. The other 1% is felling these larger ones which i will have a 32" or 36" bar to switch out.
Does the standard MS460 have an adjustable oiler on it to compensate for different bar lengths/rate of flow and is it adequate for occaisional long bar usage?
Everytime I look at the dealer, there isn't a 460 on the shelf.
It is my understanding that the "R" version is a wrap handle, high volume oil pump and dual dogs. Is there anything else that may be of any benefit by upgrading? It would be cheaper to have the saw delivered this way rather than buy the parts separately, if it is available this way. The oiler is my main concern.
What is your experience with this situation?

I have a 260 Pro with an 18" bar that given enough time will do almost anything I ask it to. I cut 5 to 6 cords a year for heat and although that doesn't seem to be enough to justify another saw, it sure would save me some time on the 30"+ oak and cherry I process occaisionally. I will continue to use the 260 on the smaller stuff.
I've made up my mind to buy a new MS460 and don't know if I need to upgrade to the "R" version or not. I think the 460 will wear a 25" (possibly 28") bar most of the time for the bigger wood. This combination of saws should get me through 99% of what I do. The other 1% is felling these larger ones which i will have a 32" or 36" bar to switch out.
Does the standard MS460 have an adjustable oiler on it to compensate for different bar lengths/rate of flow and is it adequate for occaisional long bar usage?
Everytime I look at the dealer, there isn't a 460 on the shelf.
It is my understanding that the "R" version is a wrap handle, high volume oil pump and dual dogs. Is there anything else that may be of any benefit by upgrading? It would be cheaper to have the saw delivered this way rather than buy the parts separately, if it is available this way. The oiler is my main concern.
What is your experience with this situation?

The oiler is adjustable. The only difference is wrap handle and dawgs

The Wrap version gives you:

High Output Oiler
Wrap Handle Bar
Larger Felling Spikes
Larger, Extended Clutch Cover

This is pretty much the only way they are stocked here. To me, it is a no brainer for the $50 extra or so that it costs. The wrap makes it way easier to cut on uneven ground. You could always swap out the wrap bar for a standard one, and still have the other cool goodies, but I bet you wouldn't once you used it!

The Wrap version gives you:

High Output Oiler
Wrap Handle Bar
Larger Felling Spikes
Larger, Extended Clutch Cover

This is pretty much the only way they are stocked here. To me, it is a no brainer for the $50 extra or so that it costs. The wrap makes it way easier to cut on uneven ground. You could always swap out the wrap bar for a standard one, and still have the other cool goodies, but I bet you wouldn't once you used it!

This. I have the 046 version. It wears a 24" and 28" bar 50/50 and has no problems buried in 4' maple. It oils a bit much at full adjustment for smaller wood, but I use the 372 on that now ;)

I just talked to my dealer. He says you can only get a 460-3 ways: Standard MS460, "W"(artic handle) and the resque saw, which he says is denoted as "R" and is $269 more. He got this off of the German website. I asked him if his pricing was for the power head or complete unit. He said complete unit, so I believe the "R" he is looking at is the complete resque saw with the special chain and bar.
He will order whatever I want and will continue digging around, but never heard of it.
He is usually a reliable source, but now I'm confused. I'm in western PA, could this be a west coast item. He also said his hub is in Connecticut, which I feel is close enough to some eastern logging territory to know of this version.
Can anyone shed some light on this or come up with a part or model# for me?
:dunno:

Not to be a smarta__ but we're in the USA. its on our site as the "R" version. Has the weight listing and everything. Rescue has its own listing

And I dont think we can get any artic verisons of saws here. At least I know we cant on the 660. Gotta go north of the boarder for that

I see the wrap handle "R" on Stihl's website as well. Maybe he is wearing blinders and only sees the R as the R-Resque saw. I don't know if there is something special to do when ordering. I know it's available, I just need to explain to him how to do it. This dealer has been around 30+ years. They just haven't had call for this yet.
Are there any dealers reading that can help? Maybe I can have him call your dealer to find this out. Can you give me a name or phone number?

The 460 will do what you need it to do, I have spent all day running one in frozen red and white oak anywhere from 24 to 36" in dia and it had no issues at all. I run my oiler wide open on any saw I have, there didn't seem to be any issue with oiling.
My saw only came with the "normal" half wrap and single dog, I don't have any need for the 3/4 wrap, but will be putting the larger dual dogs or spikes off the 660 on it.
It's a great saw. I have a 044 as well and you can tell that the 460 is stronger.

I had one 460 with the HO oiler and one without. I think a 28" b/c is at the limit of oiling for what the standard oiler puts out. I like more oil than it puts out. The HO doesn't need to be run wide open to oil a 28" b/c with extra to spare.

You can't go wrong with 460 :)

While you have your check-book out, order the factory duel port muffler cover.

TT

Seriously, I would recommend buying a used saw. Prices are very low right now, as everybody is broke this time of year, and are hocking their saws. If you get the MS460 used and you don't like it, you can get out of it and get all your money back. These same saws will be worth more in six months. I have bought almost all my saws used, most off Ebay, and I can tell if the seller is legit just by the description of the saw and the feedback that the seller has. You don't have to leave your house; just win a bid, and the saw will show up on your doorstep in a few days.

I have a MS460 and I only have a 25" bar on it. I didn't think it oiled enough so I got the parts to make it a HO oiler... Here is a link to the thread on HO oilers... I think it was post number 11 that I listed the part numbers for the piston pump and the control bolt. It is very easy to replace them... Good luck.

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/137374.htm

Thanks, Ambull. I've been looking at saws on E-Bay for about a month. The is a 460 on there right now, brand new for $910 + $43 shipping. I can get one for less than that and it will have a warranty and no shipping. The used ones jumped around $100 after Christmas. I feel if I'm going in for $600 to $700 used, for $200 more I know what I have. It is just not worth the chance to me. Don't get me wrong, I buy alot on E-Bay, but at this point it won't be a chainsaw. It's too easy to get burned.:cheers:

I talked to my dealer, again. He called the factory at Va.. The saw is available, $40.00 upgrade, but the person he talked with said no high output oiler, just wrap handle, dawgs and 25" bar. 4 week lead time because they don't build them till they have enough orders. We are waiting for the Stihl Rep. to get back to him to see if he tells the same story. :dizzy:

That sounds funny to me. They ship them to the west coast all the time like that.

I know, I told him that's all you guys have on the shelves out there. I would be happy if I could get him to sell me the pump piston, control bolt, dawgs and 25" bar for $40.00. I could do without the handle. He is ordering on the 27th, to beat the price increase. I have till then to decide.
Maybe the E-Bay Gods will shine on me with a brand new, $300.00 buy-it-now with free shipping deal that I see before anyone else!!! I know I said I won't buy a saw on E-Bay, but if by some miracle like that... I might!:bang:

I would think that they would cut you a deal on the parts if you were buying that expensive of a saw. I think the dawgs are around $30.

Latest posts

Back