STIHL now in big box stores?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Alpha1

100% USDA Certified Abnormality-Free.
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I dropped by my local C-A-L Ranch Store today. It's been a couple of months since the last time I was in it.

I was shocked to see that they now carry STIHL products. They didn't the last time I was in. They had Poulan and Husky chainsaws at that time.

For those of you not familiar with C-A-L Ranch Stores, they sell everything from socks to firearms. It's quite a large store and they have most everything you would need.

Anyways, they had a very good selection of STIHL products, rivaling that of most dedicated STIHL shops. They even had two FS-250R trimmers on the shelf. And, they seemed to have all the accessories, such as lubes, protective gear, blades, chains, storage cases, etc.

As far as I know, they don't have a service dept. I could be wrong, so if I am, I'm sure that someone will be along shortly to point that out to me.

I've seen STIHL products in large(r) hardware stores, such as Ace and True Value, but never in a box store. Matter-of-fact, I had just left a True Value hardware store, and their STIHL products were scant in selection, compared to C-A-L.

C-A-L has an offer that caught my eye. Apply for one of their credit cards and get 10% off any purchase in the store. I'm thinking I just might return tomorrow and pick up one of those FS-250R's. I was looking at one earlier this year from a dedicated STIHL dealer, but he didn't offer me any $$ off the price. That, and he gave me the ole "They're gonna stop making um, so you better buy one while you still can" line. That may or may not be true, but I didn't like his sales pitch, as he was very pushy. :msp_thumbdn:

Stihl being in "box stores" is not really news. They have their own somewhat narrow definition of what a box store is, but they are there none the less. They hide behind the "independantly owned" and "trained service technician", (somewhere), BS, but they have really stretched the "dealer only" drum that they have been beating for a long time now. I don't find fault with what they are doing, but they should lighten up with the industry soap box speaches about how dealer loyal they are. It's nothing but a crock. :msp_tongue:

Stihl being in "box stores" is not really news. They have their own somewhat narrow definition of what a box store is, but they are there none the less. They hide behind the "independantly owned" and "trained service technician", (somewhere), BS, but they have really stretched the "dealer only" drum that they have been beating for a long time now. I don't find fault with what they are doing, but they should lighten up with the industry soap box speaches about how dealer loyal they are. It's nothing but a crock. :msp_tongue:

Maybe things are different on the east coast, but here out west, I've never seen STIHL in a variety store, other than the above mentioned hardware stores. Even in hardware stores, STIHL seems to have their own little niche or area of the store carved out, to let you know that it's special and dedicated to their products.

In the C-A-L store, all it was, was one very long aisle, dedicated to STIHL on one side. Husky / Poulan was on the other side of the aisle.

+1... here, north of 49 stihl advertises "not at Canadian tire, not at home depot" on tv... on another note, im one to say support yer local saw shop... if they were like the post above yours, I might be pushed into a box [or other dealer], I also don't mind personal service, parts people know me by name there. worth the 10%. to me anyway...

They don't seem to list Stihl as one of their brands on the C-A-L website. http://www.calranch.com/brands/
The independent choice must figure in like John Deere dealers had a choice to carry it or not.

The hardware store places I have been in kind of do have their own corner though some Oregon stuff seems to creep in at one and at another rubber boots gasoline cans and Dolmar but only Dolmar chainsaws not other lines I see on their website.

They don't seem to list Stihl as one of their brands on the C-A-L website. http://www.calranch.com/brands/
The independent choice must figure in like John Deere dealers had a choice to carry it or not.

The hardware store places I have been in kind of do have their own corner though some Oregon stuff seems to creep in at one and at another rubber boots gasoline cans and Dolmar but only Dolmar chainsaws not other lines I see on their website.

Yeah, I went on the C-A-L website and did a search for STIHL. Nothing came up.

Anyways, I'm going back tomorrow and take another good look at that FS-250R. The 10% would cover sales tax and not much more. But hey, that's better than a good kick in the shin by Gologit. :yoyo:

My Stihl rep told me the FS250 was going to be fased out. Probably due to EPA regulations. That's what killed the MS290.

They have been sold in hardware stores without any service for a long time over here - actually Husky is the only main brand that hasn't (Jonsered as well lately, but not always).

I have seen STIHL saws sold in larger Ace Hardware stores, Acme Tool (chain of contractor tool stores), and some of our regional 'farm & fleet' stores (probably similar to your ranch stores).

Not sure what the official criteria are. One of these chain locations told me that they had technicians at one of their locations and send all customers' saws and chains there. I watched one of their staff sell a saw and was not impressed with his knowledge of saws in general or the STIHL line. Did not seem to know much more than 'this one has a bigger bar'.

Philbert

I have seen STIHL saws sold in larger Ace Hardware stores, Acme Tool (chain of contractor tool stores), and some of our regional 'farm & fleet' stores (probably similar to your ranch stores).

Not sure what the official criteria are. One of these chain locations told me that they had technicians at one of their locations and send all customers' saws and chains there. I watched one of their staff sell a saw and was not impressed with his knowledge of saws in general or the STIHL line. Did not seem to know much more than 'this one has a bigger bar'.

Philbert

That's about how it is here - and that is of course not acceptable. :mad:

Around here I can buy Stihl at the local John Deere store, arborist shop, 1 out of 3 somewhat local Ace Hardware stores (the others carry Echo) and one out of 3 Rural King stores in the region (Echo is in all three). It seems like their plan is not to sell to the "chain" but rather the franchisee or independent owner of the larger chain store. It doesn't matter to me. I like the option of buying parts at more places and I get better deals at a couple of the shops than the others.

Philbert

Yeah, that's the impression I'm getting with C-A-L and their sales help. I stood there several minutes looking that FS-250R over, and in that time frame, two employees walked by me w/o asking if I needed help or had any questions.

But, I know the product well enough, that I really don't have any questions and/or concerns at the present time.

I just hope that their credit card application process is short and quick. I hate filling out the application forms. :msp_mad:

Now that I'm retired, I'm no longer required to be relevant or have a point in mind. :msp_biggrin:

True enough - I am retired as well...:D

My point really was that Stihls in box stores is an old story, not something that happened recently!

Last edited:
Now that I'm retired, I'm no longer required to be relevant or have a point in mind. :msp_biggrin:

I was gonna crack wise, but this one is just too easy. So today I'll pass on the low hanging fruit.

Have a pic instead:

302353d1372477039-red_hair_95-jpg

True enough - I am retired as well...:D

My point really was that Stihls in box stores is an old story, not something that happened recently!

I'm no chainsaw expert, but I have spent a few nights at a Holiday Inn Express.

That being said, this was the first time I've ever seen the STIHL line-up in a box store.

And yes, I do get out as often as I can. :msp_smile:

Around here I can buy Stihl at the local John Deere store, arborist shop, 1 out of 3 somewhat local Ace Hardware stores (the others carry Echo) and one out of 3 Rural King stores in the region (Echo is in all three). It seems like their plan is not to sell to the "chain" but rather the franchisee or independent owner of the larger chain store. It doesn't matter to me. I like the option of buying parts at more places and I get better deals at a couple of the shops than the others.

Yes, that's pretty much how their business model works. They will not sell to a national chain, but they do sell to regional chains. And IMO the minor distinction between the two hardly justifies Stihl's "dealer only" mantra that they continually boast about in all of the trade magazines. I mean, a box store is a box store. What difference does it make who owns it? And like Philbert pointed out, the service/"trained technician" is usually found at only one location of these regional chains. And that goes for parts as well. There may be some accessories such as bars and chains and oil at each location. But actual parts, such as fuel lines or a throttle link and such are likely only going to be found at the location doing the service.

Again, I don't have an issue that they are doing business this way. My point is that they are in some kind of denial about it, and they keep pitching to dealers that they aren't in box stores. I get into conversations with Stihl dealers about this and they say "Husky's in the box stores! You've been betrayed!" And they go into the Kool-Aid speech about Stihl only selling to dealers. And I'm like, "You're too smart to actually believe that." :laugh:

Up here in Canada, Stihl is in some Home Hardware stores. The contract is with the individual store owner, not corporate head office ( their way around it). I work for a Stihl dealership and we don't like it, but we have to live with it. Echo has the same approach.

Latest posts

Back