Stihl numbers and letters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuckinnc

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a MS170 and a 029 farm boss, I know the 170 is much smaller and seems it should be called
a 017 or the 029 should be a 290. Is there a reason they are so different when the model usually means the size of the saw, and does the MS mean anything, is it a cheaper line. I know huskies have 3 different grades of saws, is it the same for Stihls?

With Stihl, unlike many other brands, there is really no correlation between the model numbers and the size of the saw. It is generally true that the larger the number the bigger the saw but that's about it. Some years ago Stihl basically took the zero from in front of the model number and put it at the back. Not sure what this accomplished but 017 became MS170, 029 became MS290, 044 became MS440, and the 066 became the MS660 and so forth. This is about the time they introduced the wildly popular flippy caps. (they must be popular because everybody talks about them)

Thanks but what is - flippy caps ?

With Stihl, unlike many other brands, there is really no correlation between the model numbers and the size of the saw. It is generally true that the larger the number the bigger the saw but that's about it. Some years ago Stihl basically took the zero from in front of the model number and put it at the back. Not sure what this accomplished but 017 became MS170, 029 became MS290, 044 became MS440, and the 066 became the MS660 and so forth. This is about the time they introduced the wildly popular flippy caps. (they must be popular because everybody talks about them)

I am a real amateur so please explain what " flippy caps " are.

I am a real amateur so please explain what " flippy caps " are.

"Flippy caps" are the 'no tool necessary' gas/oil caps placed on these later model saws. There is a portion of the top lip of the cap that flips up and allows the operator to turn the cap (to remove or tighten) without the use of a scrench or screwdriver. Perhaps this was a Stihl innovation (?), there are also however many sawyers who despise them for various reasons. Welcome to AS take your time and look around. Great to have you on board.

The zeroes went from front to back, and all the chainsaws are MS now. The changes are small and a lot of parts interchange. And lately they are adding 1 to the new models, those aren't the same their 0 brothers(261, 441..) The numbers do relate to saw size tho. Your 1xx (01x) are in the 30cc class, your 2xx are 40-50cc, 3xx are 50-60cc, 4xx in the 60-80cc, the 64 and 66 at 80-90cc and the 88 at 120.

Al are approximates and you can give or take a few CCs in the ranges, but you do get a picture of what CC class the saw is in from the number.

Than you have the older models with more cubes than their number is worth... :D

PS: here is a great simple list for Stihls chainsaw specs: Bill's Saw Shop - Stihl chain saw specifications

PPS: flippy caps are the tool-less gas and oil tank caps, that flip out and you can twist them with your finger instead of using the scrench™

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back