Stihl o26 starting compression

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was running well 2 years ago?
How about checking the flywheel key?

Roy
It turns over with ease, piston doin what it should and all that with the plug out
Pull the muffler and see if there is scoring.
I'll probably be doin more than that. I'm no 2 stroke man and the muffler is where I plan to start but I highly doubt the scarred piston. Whatever it is, I ordered a gasket set.

A healthy 026 has 160 or so pounds of compression, they can be quite difficult to pull over. Nature of the beast so to speak.
Went out and messed with it today. Only thing I can figure is the fogging oil which I put in when I parked it increase the compression enough for me to be stupid. I had put some more in the other day so compression was probably maxed and I'm getting old. The ol' girl blue some serious smoke when she fired up. Sorry to waste your time

Went out and messed with it today. Only thing I can figure is the fogging oil which I put in when I parked it increase the compression enough for me to be stupid. I had put some more in the other day so compression was probably maxed and I'm getting old. The ol' girl blue some serious smoke when she fired up. Sorry to waste your time
You fogot to mention that but Its good to hear its running. Leave the oil out next time.

Glad to hear you got it running.

As you seem to have solved the problem, this will be redundant, but for future reference: If the muffler is gummed up badly enough (spark arrestor screen in it?), that might also cause similar troubles as the exhaust pressure can't leave the cylinder easily enough. Pull the plug and there is no problem. Of course, depending on percentage blocked, that would also influence normal running.

Thank you for that information. My ol' saw has knawed through a lot of wood and the front of the muffler was bent in. Don't know if that had anything to do with it but I'm going to look at it today.

Back