stihl oil and gas caps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My neighbor owns the Stihl place here in town and said that everyone gripes about the flippy caps, including me. My 10 year old 020T works great and never any trouble with the old caps.

I will need a new topping saw soon and not sure what I will go with. I have replaced both the flippy caps on my 6 month old 260 already. I dont need any trouble in the top of a tree.

Dont touch my ropes either. I'll redo them right there.

'Topping saw...topping saw?'

Better duck now...
Arrrr, I'm gonna start a controversy!!! Almost as bad as flippy caps:dizzy:

(PS, this is said with amusement and humour intended:))

:
The flipper caps, I figured out will not shut if there is too much fuel/oil in,

Thats news to me, I regularly overfill my 361 for some reason, both bar and fuel, no problems seating, just makes a mess everywhere.

I've been happy with them, only one time have I forgot to put a cap back on.:monkey:

Funny. The first post called them flippy caps so I went with that. I cant call them what I want to on this site. I guess I should have said top handle in stead of topping saw. I've got several names for that one to. Maybe 020T.

according to my dealer............

Is Stihl paying attention?? Home owners/customer are asking what saw to get for home use? Since the flip caps no Stihl are worth the hassle! How many sales are Stihl willing to lose before they change??

the flippy caps are the result of a lawsuit against Stihl and they will not be getting rid of them.Strange they are not on the 660 or some of the small home owner saws.He would not devulge any more info on the lawsuit.He does hate them and is tired of customers complaining about them.

I am really liking the new Husky T435.I think my ms200 and ms192 will be going up for sale REAL SOON!

Funny. The first post called them flippy caps so I went with that. I cant call them what I want to on this site. I guess I should have said top handle in stead of topping saw. I've got several names for that one to. Maybe 020T.

I'za pullin' your leg...we've had many a 'disscussion' about topping, topping trees that is.

I guess it wasn't fair to rag on a new guy!

really? youd switch brands of saws just because of the flippy caps? i really do not understand why people have problems with them..
a little over engineered? sure... but cmon.. they are pretty simple and work fine, i dont understand how it could "fall off/out"..the little plastic tabs would prevent this from happening

I agree, I never have problems with the caps and I have them on three of my power units. O-ring is replaceable on them and when closed properly they never leak or vibrate loose.

Is Stihl paying attention?? Home owners/customer are asking what saw to get for home use? Since the flip caps no Stihl are worth the hassle! How many sales are Stihl willing to lose before they change??

Well perhaps they are paying attention. For some reason the vast majority of complaints are coming from the USA. European sites do not depict the kind of dissatisfaction with these caps. Many in Europe see them as superior caps as they close in a very positive way.

Grrrr rage acceptance sigh

http://www.arboristsite.com/showpost.php?p=2293667&postcount=2

How I over came my denial about flippy caps

Shock stage: Initial paralysis at hearing the bad news.

Denial stage: Trying to avoid the inevitable.

Anger stage: Frustrated outpouring of bottled-up emotion.

Bargaining stage: Seeking in vain for a way out.

Depression stage: Final realization of the inevitable.

Testing stage: Seeking realistic solutions.

Acceptance stage: Finally finding the way forward.

Grrrr rage acceptance sigh

http://www.arboristsite.com/showpost.php?p=2293667&postcount=2

How I over came my denial about flippy caps

Shock stage: Initial paralysis at hearing the bad news.

Denial stage: Trying to avoid the inevitable.

Anger stage: Frustrated outpouring of bottled-up emotion.

Bargaining stage: Seeking in vain for a way out.

Depression stage: Final realization of the inevitable.

Testing stage: Seeking realistic solutions.

Acceptance stage: Finally finding the way forward.

Yep I turned to husky too:monkey:

Ive notice that sometimes they get twisted back into the locked position when taken off, and if lil grunty doesnt notice, thats when they fall out. its only happend to me 1 or 2 times, but happens maybe 5 6 times a year when grunt does it. I never liked the 2 piece old ones cuz some of the guys would crank em to hard and the middle loosens up and leaked. The only stihls i run are the ms200t. have no use for any other topper. But tell me more about this new husky. Is it a top handled saw?

I will not buy another Stihl product with the flip cap. I hate having gas in my face when I put my pole saw in air. Bad stupid design.

Back to the dealer today

Is it me or are the new stihl gas and oil caps lousy? I have had the oil cap on my 200t's come out while climbing or in the bucket. Probably four times in five years. what a mess! One other time, while climbing, I had a small pitch pine limb go through the "flip top" and pull the oil cap out. My guys all run husky's and I may have to switch. what do you guys think?

I bought a new stihl ms 311. I thought the caps were cheap looking and they turned out to be exactly that.

I have found that spreading a little bar oil on the O-ring of the gas caps and paying attention helps. The gas strips the moving parts of the caps of any lubriawcityishnis, they bind up when you try to twist them in, they break. Another thing that needs licking before sticking, keep just enough on it so it can operate freely. The gas caps on blowers need it too.

And what Prentice said about the oil caps inadvertantly twisting before locking is because they are so wet with oil and move quite freely. Sometimes you have to re-clock the mechanism, just hold the inner part with one hand and twist the flip lid handle back.

most spills result from lack of attentiveness or rushing.

Ask my climber about how gas on your nuts feels?These caps are no good period anyone who likes them has not been doing this long enough or under enough conditions.BTW that happened yesterday.

The problem with the caps was due to ethanol, this is why only the USA had complaints. They modified the caps AND there is a recall on them so bring your saw or other machine to your local Stihl dealer to have the caps swapped out. I had it done and I only recently had a minor issue with one cap, out of the four units I have. Everything for the US Market needs to be tested for use with ethanol. Many of you will complain about the caps even well after the issue has been addressed and fixed!

The problem with the caps was due to ethanol, this is why only the USA had complaints. They modified the caps AND there is a recall on them so bring your saw or other machine to your local Stihl dealer to have the caps swapped out. I had it done and I only recently had a minor issue with one cap, out of the four units I have. Everything for the US Market needs to be tested for use with ethanol. Many of you will complain about the caps even well after the issue has been addressed and fixed!

The problem was in poor engineering and the need to make a screw cap complicated is hog wash. Anyway my opinion is the closest thing to stihl is:

HP You On You: Cubik's Rube - YouTube

I went to an open house at a local equipment place not too long ago and couldn't wait to let the stihl sales rep have it..
This poor guy couldn't get away from me - as I was yelling at him " how do you like to wear bar oil, how would you like to explain to customers why there is oil all over their tree and landscape, what the f##k is the matter with you people!!"
He told me to get used to it because the design is here to stay, then gave me a new oil cap for my 200.

It broke the next day..

Is it me or are the new stihl gas and oil caps lousy? I have had the oil cap on my 200t's come out while climbing or in the bucket. Probably four times in five years. what a mess! One other time, while climbing, I had a small pitch pine limb go through the "flip top" and pull the oil cap out. My guys all run husky's and I may have to switch. what do you guys think?

If I'm not mistaken they just had a recent recall on these and you should be able to get replacements from your stihl dealer

Back