stihl oil and gas caps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
still think they need to go back to the old ones like on the big saws and put a little metal insert in it, so the screwnch doesn't blow thru

I have found that spreading a little bar oil on the O-ring of the gas caps and paying attention helps. The gas strips the moving parts of the caps of any lubriawcityishnis, they bind up when you try to twist them in, they break. Another thing that needs licking before sticking, keep just enough on it so it can operate freely. The gas caps on blowers need it too.

And what Prentice said about the oil caps inadvertantly twisting before locking is because they are so wet with oil and move quite freely. Sometimes you have to re-clock the mechanism, just hold the inner part with one hand and twist the flip lid handle back.

most spills result from lack of attentiveness or rushing.

They are a pain, and not really needful, but I've never had a problem with them really. They do like you say sometimes, but I always get them figured out and they work good for me. I'll remember the oil trick. That lucas fuel additive is slick...I might try that.

If these are the same 2 piece black on white caps fitted to stihls here then there seams to be a problem with the newer stuff. Love the oily leg too!. Seems to be that there is unintended movement between the 2 parts so that when you line up the three ridges with the right-sized gap in the tank then, it wont tighten properly. Just changed one and the replacement is already sliding. Have to hold the white and turn the black back to the left but in doing so i can get crap in the tank. Bad plastic?. Chinese sabotage?.

If these are the same 2 piece black on white caps fitted to stihls here then there seams to be a problem with the newer stuff. Love the oily leg too!. Seems to be that there is unintended movement between the 2 parts so that when you line up the three ridges with the right-sized gap in the tank then, it wont tighten properly. Just changed one and the replacement is already sliding. Have to hold the white and turn the black back to the left but in doing so i can get crap in the tank. Bad plastic?. Chinese sabotage?.

That's funny.

Actually I think it's a stihl conspiracy. I'll bet they figure if you can't figure out the caps they don't want you running, working on, or owning their saws. That's the only reason I can see for making them so complex.

That's funny.

Actually I think it's a stihl conspiracy. I'll bet they figure if you can't figure out the caps they don't want you running, working on, or owning their saws. That's the only reason I can see for making them so complex.

I agree! I gots mah caps workin for me! AAYYY!:msp_thumbsup:

They are complex but I figured it out. Besides, with any kind of 'cap' there is, for any reason want or need, there are gonna be problems.
Take caps on milk jugs for instance. What are some problems we have had there? Baseball caps, Fedora's and Kango's all get blown of by the wind. See what I mean? My helmet straps constantly pinch and rip hair outta my face.

And of all things gas is a hard thing to cap.

Like I said, put the oil on,take yer time. I like em well enough. You let the wrong person do it you better check yer caps. But still, welcome to tree work, here's gas on yer nuts!:biggrin:

Last time I had gas on my nuts I was climbing down from a truck with a carb, I dropped it but caught it in my lap, wrote this song.

Gas on my nuts wash it off wash it off
Gas on my nuts Oh God yes! wash it off
like a jar of pink pigs feet
lil pee pee now squishy swolled meat
Gas on my nuts wash it off wash it off

Last edited:
I don't have any problems with the caps that aren't offset by the speed of fill up time. I am gassed/oiled and back to cutting in record time with these gadgets. Smooth, fast, and efficient I am on equipment so that helps, dunce cap ramrods need not apply.

I cut in all conditions too, including falling timber all Wisconsin winter long and owning my own tree service which requires climbing and banging 200t's around in a the tree or bucket on the regular. Out of 13 saws with them I've replaced maybe 1 or 2, no different for me than older screw in ones.

I don't have any problems with the caps that aren't offset by the speed of fill up time. I am gassed/oiled and back to cutting in record time with these gadgets. Smooth, fast, and efficient I am on equipment so that helps, dunce cap ramrods need not apply.

I cut in all conditions too, including falling timber all Wisconsin winter long and owning my own tree service which requires climbing and banging 200t's around in a the tree or bucket on the regular. Out of 13 saws with them I've replaced maybe 1 or 2, no different for me than older screw in ones.

All in all they did pretty dam good didn't they? #### if I am not actually impressed. Very much so. No ####.

What impressed me more was that they put a recall on them and admitted defect. I think they just need to put a little something about cap maintence in the owners manual. Its good to keep a few new caps on hand. You will notice when the gas cap starts to stick it needs a lil lube

No complaints other than the USA... "It broke the next day"??? Uh, you're the problem not the cap.

umm... don't think so ;)
yes we've figured out the twisting, lubing and other tricks to keep them on most of the time. they're still junk..

umm... don't think so ;)
yes we've figured out the twisting, lubing and other tricks to keep them on most of the time. they're still junk..

I never have a problem with these caps and actually prefer them to screw on caps. The new version from the recall is extremely fast to secure and remove. I have had, though very rarely, older screw on caps get stuck in very hot weather, possibly due to pressure. This would not happen with the tooless caps. Since other countries are not reporting an issue with the caps I am lead to believe one of two possibilities. American who use the caps are not as bright as those in other nations, or there is something distinctive about the fuel "environment" that causes the caps to malfunction. I tend to believe the later though I reserve some thoughts towards the former proposition.

Below is a link from Stihl regarding the cap recall:

STIHL Toolless Cap Safety Recall Notice | STIHL USA

The caps are crap in France as well. You're probably right with the fuel idea. Forget the intelligence thing though -last time i needed to get a chain sharpened at the stihl dealership they put it back on the saw the wrong way around.....

It's interesting that no chainsaws are part of the recall. I'm going to have to look at mine for the "E or higher" marking anyway. Only problem I have is that the "keeper" cord broke on some.

I never have a problem with these caps and actually prefer them to screw on caps. The new version from the recall is extremely fast to secure and remove. I have had, though very rarely, older screw on caps get stuck in very hot weather, possibly due to pressure. This would not happen with the tooless caps. Since other countries are not reporting an issue with the caps I am lead to believe one of two possibilities. American who use the caps are not as bright as those in other nations, or there is something distinctive about the fuel "environment" that causes the caps to malfunction. I tend to believe the later though I reserve some thoughts towards the former proposition.

Below is a link from Stihl regarding the cap recall:

STIHL Toolless Cap Safety Recall Notice | STIHL USA

Lol the bright thing don't apply to still engineering. I never have a problem with husky caps and out of five stihl products only two run and caps suck on four. All but the runners are low hours one is less than 50 hrs combi tool just a carb kit but still to me they are pos.

Iv'e said it before and i'll say it again."I love stihl saws,but their caps are crap"

The person who engineered them should be taken out behind the wood shed and have his balls doused with gas every hour on the hour for at least 2 days.

Lol the bright thing don't apply to still engineering. I never have a problem with husky caps and out of five stihl products only two run and caps suck on four. All but the runners are low hours one is less than 50 hrs combi tool just a carb kit but still to me they are pos.

I do not think one can or should be so brand loyal or disloyal; I do not think being either serves anyone well. There are good products, there are better products and there are lemons. I am not a Stihl "Fan boy" nor am I a special fan of any other manufacturer of anything. I like products that are made well, hold up, are well designed for use and perhaps aesthetics (ie. Apple computer). I have 3 Stihl machines; MS-360 Pro saw, FS-90R trimmer, and an HS-45 hedge trimmer. All of these machines were used by a Landscaper before I attained them. All ran ok but now run PERFECT after I "cleaned them up". Though "serviced" by a local dealer just before I got them (still had the tags on them) they had the wrong plugs in them. The valves on the FS-90R were well carbon-ed and the choke lever was broken on the HS-45 trimmer. Wrong plugs installed by Stihl dealers are a potential problem especially for the 4-mix powered products. See: http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/59867.htm#post1591161
The MS-360 Pro saw is a FANTASTIC saw; Power for it's weight is great as is it's robustness & ease of service. I also took in a well used Echo SRM-230. This unit now runs great too after a little TLC, warm up time is often sited as an issue with these units but after clean up, a new filter box, plug boot & plug it starts up two - three pulls from cold & warms up well enough in 20 seconds. My EB802 blower bought new is flawless and very powerful after removing a very restrictive muffler pipe. I just have a difficult time imagining that someone would have so many problems with Stihl or any of the other major brands of commercial power tools. Stihls engineering is at least as good as anyone else in the business. Though I do not like the lack of fine throttle control of the 4-mix trimmers I have to admit the design of the engine is excellent.

Back