Stihl Oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shooter

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what is the application for this pre-mix oil?

It's packaged in 3.2 oz bottles for 40:1 mix.

Mike

Is it so you can still get 1 gallon of 40 to 1 mix with the 3.2 oz bottles vs. about .80 gallon of 40 to 1 gas mix with the popular 2.6 oz bottles?

Stihl manufactures a variety of 2 cycle equipment - blowers, tillers, edgers, brushcutters, chainsaws. Does Stihl spec a pre-mix oil ratio other than 50:1 for any of this equipment?

Is the 40:1 white bottle mix marketed as a lesser quality oil than the 50:1 orange bottle mix?

I'm curious as to the reasons for selling the two different mix ratios.

Mike

Last edited:
Mike, I'm not positive but I have an older Stihl Saw that recommends using 40 to 1 mix. My newer Husky saws recommend 50 to 1 however the local repair shop always tells new saw owners that the equipment will last much longer if you use a 40 to 1 ratio & 93 Octane fuel. Plugs will burn clean with this ratio.

Originally posted by Bills Oak
the local repair shop always tells new saw owners that the equipment will last much longer if you use a 40 to 1 ratio & 93 Octane fuel. Plugs will burn clean with this ratio.

In that one statement you have irritated almost every member of this board. All you need to add is that Stihl is better than Husky, something about synthetic oil, and you'll have 'em all.

Never said or meant that!--I'm just stating that basically if you use a brand name oil with a 40 to 1 ratio rather than 50 to 1 and use 93 Octane fuel ( head temp will be 10 degrees cooler) your saws no matter what kind will last longer. I have been using Stihls, Huskys, Macs, & way back when, Homelie Super Wiz saws--probably before you were born!--Don't get your panties in a wad so easy..

I use 50:1 in everything, car lawnmower, I might even consider eating it for lunch. I mix 91 octane(NM) 60/40 with toulene, then I mix 50:! with my own secret blend of 2 stroke oils. I am not sure if this even makes a difference, but its what I do...Matt

Bill is correct. Older saws will benefit from using a 40:1 mix. I tried using 50:1 in some old Mac 125 saws my dad had and it just ran too hot. It even burned up one saw, light scoring on the piston, this was fresh fuel with a fresh carb rebuild and good oil seals.

Sorry, I hadn't intended to get the "oil wars" started up again.

Jacob J - Do you think the reason that Stihl sells a 40:1 ratio is that Stihl acknowledges that alot of non-Sthil equipment is out there & that the 40:1 ratio is a safer mix for this equipment?

Stihltech - Have you ever heard any performance comparisons of the 40:1 vs. the 50:1 oil. Obviously the 50:1 mix with its JASO-FC & ISO-L-EGD ratings is a premium oil in every regard. Is the 40:1 sold for price & marketing reasons?

Mike

Brian – Yes I can read and picked up on the fact that the round container is a packaging style from 5+ years ago. Thank you.

Now take 20 seconds & review this 2 cycle oil page at the Stihl website.

http://www.stihlusa.com/accessories/twocycleoil.html

Obviously, in addition to the 50:1 orange bottle mix & the black Lo smoke mix, Stihl markets a white container oil. The package sizes, 3.2 oz, 8 oz, 16 oz, are all 40:1 mix ratios for 1, 2 ½, & 5 gallons. This indicates to me that it is intended to be mixed at 40:1.

Oil is not just oil & the formulations are always being tinkered with. Unfortunately for 2 stroke fans, the formulations used today are blended to meet additional targets beyond just proper lubrication of the engine. EPA mandates, chemical safety regulations, price & availability of mix components, all affect what goes into the “orange bottle” from year to year.

Now back to my original question, does anyone have any additional info on this oil?
Price? JASO or ISO certified?

Mike

Obviously the 50:1 mix with its JASO-FC & ISO-L-EGD ratings is a premium oil in every regard
Shooter, The only stihl oil that meets those certs is the black bottle low smoke stihl oil. The run of the mill orange stuff does not and is probaly the exact same stuff as the old stock. FWIW The black bottle oil is slightly better than the orange bottle stuff, but is still overpriced for its quality.

oil

I repeat, the oil you are looking at in the white bottle has been out of production for about 5 years. It is not the same as the present product.

Mix it any way you want. I use it 50 to 1 in everything and have not problems.

I'm assuming that if it's listed on the 2003 website, then it is a currently available product. But, that could be a bad assumption on my part.

I'll fire off an e-mail to Stihl & see if I can get an answer.

OK - I got connected with a Stihl technical rep here in the Midwest. Here are his comments on the "White Bottles" and mix oil:

The mix in the white containers and the orange containers is (was) the same oil.

The white container, referred to as “Universal” was packaged for 40:1 mix in the smaller containers. It was intended to be a mix for the dealers to sell for other equipment. The Universal product was removed from the price list some time last year.

Stihl changed to the “EPA Carburetors” in 1997 and the 50:1 ratio provides the best results in their equipment.

Stihl has tested the orange bottle mix in their engines @ 80:1 and after tear down, found no significant wear over an engine run at the same time on 50:1.

The Stihl engines run hotter on mixes with more oil than 50:1. The oil-gas mix actually cools the crankcase & bottom of the piston thru evaporation as it changes state from a mist to a vapor. As more oil is added to the mix, it inhibits this evaporative cooling effect.

The orange bottle mix is a blend of petro bases with detergent (Lo Ash) and anti-wear additives from Lubrizol.

The dye added to the oil was changed from greenish to the clear blue about 10 years ago as the various yellow & red tints in the gasoline were combining with the mix dye and creating a brown “stale fuel” color.

The Stihl engines run hotter on mixes with more oil than 50:1. The oil-gas mix actually cools the crankcase & bottom of the piston thru evaporation as it changes state from a mist to a vapor. As more oil is added to the mix, it inhibits this evaporative cooling effect.

Sounds like a typical clueless, so called tech person.

Back